Can I get a conventional mortgage and pay cash for the renovations instead of a 203k loan?

This home (in Massachusetts) would be my primary residence, home price is $75,000, I have 20% to put down and will have the +-$15,000 to make the home liveable. This would include tying into city sewer and crushing the failed septic system. Will I qualify for a conventional loan If I could show the bank that I had the cash to do the renovations? I'd rather pay cash for the renovations than borrow additional money and be restricted to 203k guidelines.
  • September 10 2013 - US

203k loan is a program that enables you to purchase a home and finances certain upgrades and repairs as part of your mortgage. Work with a consultant who can evaluate the property if it qualifies for the 203k.

You are not limited to a 203K loan for renovation.  Conventional renovation loan programs exist.

I know of no lender that will close on a home in need of repair without the loan being a renovation or construction loan.  What is the status of the septic system?  HAs it failed Title V?

Profile picture for The Mortgage Mark
Most lenders will not lend if the house is not in livable shape now.  You may have to see if any Banks or Credit Unions have a portfolio program that they would be willing to work with you. 

I have seen deals like this go through. Your lender will have a discussion and the approval process may be a bit longer. I would recommend talking to a local (community bank) lender. When putting 20% down you should be in a position where there will not be loan conditions related to the condition of the home.