Can I get a home loan?

I currently have credit scores of 597, 613, 633...paid off all debt and have 3 three credit cards, and owe 8K on a car.  Will I be able to get a home loan?  Also, I live in
Louisiana and will be relocating to Illinois; however I you like to buy a home first while living and working in LA...is that doable?
  • February 20 2013 - Sherman Oaks
  • 0

thanks wetdawgs!!!! One one question for you or anyone...with my current credit scores is it possible to get an investment property loan?

How long do you plan to have between purchase and making it your primary residence?  Do you have a job lined up in the area where you wish to buy?

You can buy a house in another state, but unless you plan to make it your primary residence within a specified number of days (perhaps 60, check with your lender), you will have to get an investment property loan.  

@Brian:  I suspect "LA" is the state abbreviation for Louisiana and had nothing to do with CA

Yes Paul I have that...but I want to buy in Illinois since I will be moving there. I guess my question is...can I buy a home in one state while living in another (temporarily)?  Will it be a hassle?

Perhaps but you will need to put down a minimum of 5%. Do you have that? If so, you could buy in Louisiana as long as you live there first. Let me know if you have any further questions. And good luck!

Paul

Profile picture for Brian GFL Capital
you live in Louisiana but are moving to Illinois but want to buy a house in CA because you live and work in CA? do you travel a lot for work?

the 613 mid score would be my biggest concern right now. ideally for a conventional loan you want a 620+ score. what could be causing the low scores? bankruptcy? collections?