Can I get a mortgage with a high credit score but 30 day lates on my current mortgage?

I had a late payment in Sept. I paid it but not all of it and when I continued to pay my mortgage it was only the current due for Oct. Nov. and Dec.  I pay by phone and didn't even realize it,  there was an 18.00 rollover amount that caused Sept. thru Dec. to show 30 day lates.  My mortgage only shows on my transunion credit report and my scores are above 700 for experian and equifax and almost 700 for trans union.  My boyfriend will jointly be applying for the mortgage and he has all scores in the high 700's with no bad marks at all on his credit, but I make the majority of the income.  Our income is not an issue at all, the only thing that would hold us back are those 30 day late payments.  Where we are looking it would qualify for a usda loan as well,  I know their requirements are a little lower but would we even have a chance at that? Or any loan for that matter?
  • March 11 2013 - Des Moines
  • 0

Answer: Maybe

Everything looks like it points to you being a good borrower. Since doing a few USDA loans lately I have run into a few lates. The best advice any loan officer can give you is to have a detalied letter of explenation for the reason the lates occured. Hope this helps...

Profile picture for BradNiemann
You need to contact a local lender and ask that questions they are really the only ones that can.  They will need to run your credit and go over it with you.