Profile picture for bikoy

Can I get an FHA approval or even pre-approval from another lender if I already have an FHA Case #?

My broker can't seem to get us to the closing table.  Now, I'm thinking of going to another broker that would be able to have us close on this house.  It seems like a long shot since the closing is less than 30 days but I look at it as, the other lender would have the same documents as the current one but we may have better chances with the new lender to actually get us the loan. 

Problem is, the FHA Case number is under my broker (and of course the lender's) name.  She said that if we don't get the final approval today, July 15, she will pull the file and go with another lender (she said that before)
  • July 15 2009 - Florence
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for shapiroamg
You could get it done. The case number would need to be transfered to your new lender/broker. The current broker/lender would have to transfer it once you request it be done. That is an FHA rule. If an appraisal was done that can be transfered to the new lender/broker as well.

What seems to be the issue with them getting this closed?

If you have 30 days or close to it, this is plenty of time with many lenders.  I would switch.

If this is the only thing holding it up and you have proof mom is paying it for 12 months, it should not be a problem.  No deliquency within the last 12 months and its not a FHA loan.....maybe the lender/underwriter is just not comfortable with the scenario.  Its time to move on.

There has to be something else that is missing.

I would ask the broker to give you details as to why this is a problem. A good LO should be able to get this closed. With only 30 days left, it would be risky to go somewhere else, but I would let her know you are concidering it. This may light a fire under her to get working on solutions to this.

I guess with all the cutbacks and layoffs we still have not weeded out the crappy LO's.  This is almost as bad as the idiot last week who pre-approved someone 3 months of self-employment.  This should have been addressed from day 1.  Unfortunatley Bikoy, I do not think you have enough time to switch lenders without jeapordizing the sale itself.  Like Ken said, get the manager on the phone and insist that they start moving on this.  If you can buy yourself maybe into the first week of August it may be worth looking at someone else.

Profile picture for bikoy
My mom has never been late since she refi with my name on it and it's not FHA either.  No cancelled checks though but there's ACH trans proving it's paid out to WAMU and my mom's local bank certifying this.  Something for sure is being left out but now I feel like I'm running out of time. :(

Thank you guys for your responses.

Profile picture for Ken Kopper
Typically 12 months cancelled checks should do it for that type of situation..I am thinking something is being left out? Has your mom's mortgage have any late payments on it? Is her loan also an FHA loan?

I would suggest calling your loan officer's supervisor and getting to the bottom of what the exact hold up is and can it be resolved..If not, I would find someone else that can not only deliver the loan for you but also communicate better with you.

Profile picture for bikoy
Yes, my mom was the one who's making the payments eversince the house got refinanced with my name on it.  I don't know of any "direct FHA lender" that I could contact here in FL :(

Has your Mom been making the payments by herself for over a year?  If not they can hit you with both payments which depending on your income could disqualify you and open a whole new can of worms. You may want to call a direct FHA lender and ask them to call an underwriter and present your scenario to see if they think they can close it. 

Profile picture for bikoy
Broker will not say what really is going on and that's why I want to switch brokers as well.  I guess when she sensed that I was willing to switch lenders...and broker if needed to check my chances of getting to the close on this house, she then said that the lender won't give us clear to close because I am a co-borrower on my mom's mortgage.  I provided proof that my mom was the one making the payments from her acct and her bank sent in a letter saying that she is the sole acct holder, nothing's coming out of my bank/money with regards to this mortgage, I even sent tax returns.  I disclosed everything with my broker and she preapproved me.  Now, I'm doubting if any lender would even give me a loan and that maybe my broker should not have pre-approved me.