Profile picture for strghtarrow

Can I get principal reduction under HAMP?

I get a mtg. write down of principal if I applied for a modification 4 times in 2010, '11 and '12 under HARP 2 or is it possible under HAMP? I was last turned down by Chase in Dec. 2012. House is now rented to my daughter for 4 Mo. repainted ,repaired, and it has a loan to value of Approx. 130%. Excellent Credit, never late pmts. Loan originated 9/28/2007
  • June 25 2013 - Wikieup
  • 0

Best Answer

Unfortunately not....Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are not reducing principle they feel the values are increasing (a market they created since they own 51% of mortgages)

Profile picture for Dasher7
[Promotion and hotlink deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines.]

Profile picture for strghtarrow
Thank's for the best news I've heard. I have been all over H.U.D. web sight and searched for HAMP guidelines to no avail. This property is about 130% under water and I have lost a huge sum of money trying to save it for my kid's. Now all I have to do is find a way to do it. Spent $2 thou on an atty. last year and got turned down for mod. in Dec. Spent $8 thou on it and it's rented to my daughter now. I was about to give up and go to short sale. I even tried a re-fi but rates are up even with my excellent credit. Many thank's Mr. Good Neighbor

Profile picture for Go Huskers
"Thank's for the answer."
--------------
If you are relying on an agent's answer as being the Gospel then you are in for a shock.

The truth is that under HAMP it is possible to get a principal reduction, it all depends on the numbers. HAMP has a specific calculation and if you qualify, you could receive a combination of rate reduction and principal forgiveness in order to get your payment within the program limits. 

To tell someone "unfortunately not" without knowing anything about their situation is moronic! 

Profile picture for strghtarrow
This is nuts, I just received notification from Zillow that my property value went down $4,925 or -2.1%. Granted this is an AZ. real estate depressed community, but at this rate the Gov. will own 51% of private housing in America. I am an indipendant republican and I don't want something for nothing. This crises was caused on purpose to divide and create chaos in our great nation. I'm not a professional investor but I am just trying to preserve this property for my kid's. Thank's for the answer.