Can I get square footage of my house changed at the county office? Pinellas County, Florida

My house was built in 1979, I have owned it since 2005. When I refinanced in 2008, the bank had a company survey it and came up with more square footage than what the county record office shows. Its was off by around 200 sq ft. I'm getting ready to sell it and want to revise it with the county.

Can I hire a county licensed surveyor to re-measure and submit to the county records office?

The house is in Pinellas County, Florida
  • July 29 2014 - Clearwater
  • 0

Best Answer

I wouldn't bother going through the effort and notifying the assessors office that your house is actually bigger than it is recorded, as they most likely will increase your assessed value.  When you list your home, advertise the actual square footage and disclose to the buyers in writing that the house is larger than the tax records indicate and invite them to verify.  Then price your house according based on the correct square footage.  

Yes, that is how it will have to be handled. You can arrange to have the county send someone out, and make sure the added square footage was done up to code. You might have a tax penalty to resolve. Just a heads up!