Profile picture for THANEE

Can I have my wife buy a house to get $8000 tax credit and I already own the house b4 married?

December 08 2009 - Moore

In the eyes of the IRS your wife is also a homeowner because she has had the tax advantages of home ownership without technically being the home owner. So while she may not be on the paper, she too is a homeowner.

No.  You would not qualify for the $8000 tax credit.  However, as the others before me have stated, you may qualify for the $6500 tax credit if you sell and purchase another home.

If you have owned this home any time within the last three years, your spouse does not qualify (even if you don't file your taxes jointly).

If you've owned the home  and lived in it for at least five of the last eight years, then together you may qualify for the $6500 credit when you buy a new home.

I would strongly suggest that you contact your CPA regarding this question. My initial answer is no you would not be able to get the credit because you probably file your taxes jointly and the IRS would be able to see that you already have a primary residence.

You would qualify for the $6,500 credit if you have owned your current place for more than 5 years and are now trading up on your purchase.

Again consult your CPA.