Profile picture for shadyriver

Can I list my house as a home owner without an agent?

August 18 2011 - US

Yes, you can put a for sale by owner sign and have agents calling you right and left. Sorry not trying to be funny but this will happen. The things to consider when taking on this task are: Have you ever sold a home before? Do you know how to write, present, and complete a Real Estate contract? Do you know the current value of the homes in your area so you can price your home? Do you have a lawyer to examine the contracts once the buyer & you have completed the contracts ? There are many legalities when selling a home and if you haven't done this before can become very overwhelming. If you are familiar with the process and comfortable with selling you own home then I say go for it. Keep an open mind though it's a hard job.There are many advantages to hiring a professional to do this job. I recommend interviewing more than one agent. Good luck.

Yes, you certainly can. 

Here's a link to get you started.

A frequent contributor wrote an excellent non-commercial blog on posting a FSBO on Zillow.

And, there will be a zillion agents stopping by and posting to this thread why it is a bad idea!