Profile picture for StevenByers

Can I make the Non-Occupyinfg Co-Signer the Mortgage Owner?

I am married but getting divorced. My name is on the mortgage and my wife's mother as a co-signer. I am wondering if it is possible, and how to remove myself from the mortgage and just have my wife's mother as the owner without the process of re-financing. Is it possible? Thank you
  • July 25 2012 - US
  • 0

The lenders want to know that the co-signer is qualified to carry the loan on her own merits, therefore, it would be a refinance.  It isn't possible simply to remove your name if your income was used to qualify for the loan.

you can either refi and get yourself off the loan. Your mother in law would be the mortgage holder and your wife can be on the deed as a co-owner.

OR you can ask the banks permission to have you removed, which will almost be like a refi, as they may requalify the entire loan for the new mortgage holders.

[self promotion deleted by Zillow moderator]

I work in MD, DC and VA, my number is [deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy] I have good mortgage lenders available and/or I can refer you to a good agent if you are not in my areas of expertise!