Profile picture for mariahmosby

Can I post an email I have received from a homeowner and you tell me if I am going to be scammed?

If you would like to help me by responding to my question, I will post the email and if you could please tell me if I am being scammed, please do so.
  • July 12 2012 - Maricopa
  • 0

I would google their phone number and add the keyword Zillow. Often these scammer have more than one. Even if they don't, it smells completely like a scam and the rush, rush deposit thing is a red flag. 

Profile picture for mariahmosby
Thank you all for your responses. Last thing I want is to be scammed thinking I really got a house.
This person replies with different comments but is in such a rush for me to send in the application, which does not ask for card number or social, just basic information. I told them we are just looking and they did offer us to pay half security deposit. I feel the need to drive by the home myself to see what contact information is on the property.

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
If the house is posted here with the same comments and contact, it is part of the scam and should be reported to the proper places (Zillow and the FBI).

If the house is posted here with different comments and contact information. it may be a legitimate rental. That is how the scammers get houses to post, the scour these sites. You can use the contact information here to contact the owner (if if is different) and beging to investigate to see if it is a real rental that can be shown by the owner or management company BEFORE you have to pay any fees.

BUYER OR RENTER BEWARE! Good luck.

Profile picture for mariahmosby
I am not sure if the same person has posted this scam here on Zillow too so I'm not sure if I should report this as a scam.
I really don't want to falsely scam anyone and I'm not sure how to find out if it is the same person trying to scam others.

How could I report a scammer in general even though they claim they are out of the country trying to get someone to "rent" out a home but are really in it for money?

Profile picture for mariahmosby
I found this post on craigslist and when I searched the house it was here on Zillow too. How can I report this house? 
I didn't know I could report to the FBI ???!!!

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED
It is the traditional Nigerian Scam, almost word for word the same as one of the examples posted on the Zillow FAQ reference wetdawgs already posted.

It needs to be reported to Zillow and to the FBI.  People outside the country figure they can't be prosecuted as our laws don't apply there, and no one is going to take the time to go after them.  The house is not theirs, and they will not send you keys, and they will take your money if you send it, giving you nothing in return.

It is really sad that people reference God as a means to scam others, indicating they have no belief or trust in God at all; only money and their ability to deceive others into giving it to them.

Profile picture for mariahmosby
It is long- to let you know. He did include a phone number but I deleted it out. He also posted the address of the house but I thought to x that out too.

The house on  XXXX
 is a 2 bedrooms and 1 bathrooms Single-Family Home. Which My wife and I occupied before leaving for Nigeria. We left on a self Mission following God's Call to Preach the Word and Let people of all Nations Hear About Him.

We are looking for a well-behaved, clean and honest tenant to rent out our house.We will like you to give us your word and promise us that you will take good care of our house so that we will be happy when we come to visit you in the future. We are willing to work on any flexible plan you may have on your term of renting,Long or short term or month by month.

I had a Realtor company help me get a tenant, but they were handling things too professionally and were extorting the tenants, so i took the job of their hands and tried doing this my self, but couldn't find any tenant while I was still in the state as at last week. so as a matter of urgency for my travel, I do not want my home to be misused in my absence, I decided to take the keys and documents along with me. So I hope you will promise me to take very good care of the house always. I really do need to get a very well-behaved person to take occupancy of my house and take good care of it for me.We shall be staying for upwards of five years here doing God's Work,a 90 days notice shall be given to you prior to our arrival back to the states after five years of service here in Nigeria.

All bedrooms are nice sizes. Master bedroom offers two separate closets which allows for plenty of clothes! Garage can be used as extra space, workshop or as, of course, a garage. There is plenty of space for a vegetable garden and a separate fenced area for pets. Some  landscaping with perennials and mature bushes and trees. Fresh paint
throughout. The Rent is 600 monthly including utilities and $500 for Security deposit. 

As regards furniture,if tenant would be bringing in furniture,ours will be taken to storage while cost of storage will be paid by us.If tenant wants to use ours,tenant will be allowed to use.You can give us a call on our cell phone number on ----- or -----. ( Call Anytime )

Rent Fee/Month : $600
Security Deposit : $500

Here is the address of the Home you can drive by and view the exteriors and surroundings and get back to me if you are really interested  ----------
So get back to us as soon as you can so we can send you the application form.
Waiting to hear from you soon.
Regards
Pastor Martel Moon

Have you had a chance to read the FAQ on scam and internet fraud?     You can post the E-mail by clicking on "post reply" to this message rather than starting a new thread.