Profile picture for kljohnson

Can I receive a credit to do repairs since they were not done properly, after my home inspection?

I had my official home inspection, I requested certain items of the list for the seller to do. The repairs that the seller did were not done correctly, I am not satisfied and it is unacceptable, my question is, can I have the seller give me the credit for the cost of repairs, base on the dollar amount quoted on the official inspection report, so that I can do the repairs myself without hiring an outside contractor?

January 09 2010 - Philadelphia

A professional home inspector should never say if a repair is done to code.  They are not authorized to make that claim unless they have education commensurate with that of a code compliance officer and this is rare.  It is a violation of ethics, and may land the inspector in hot water due to the added liability that is assumed when making that sort of claim.  Instead, look for an inspector to re-inspect the property (many will perform the re-inspection for a reduced fee or free) and comment if the repairs look to have been completed in a professional, workmanlike manner.  A well written contingency should allow you some protection here.

Have you already written off your contingencies? Your request is always strongest if you haven't.

You can always ask anything you want in this world, the answer is always either YES or NO

This is a little tricky.  The repairs done by the seller should be able to pass a re-inspection by the Home Inspector.  If the Home Inspector does not find the repairs done to code, he should write a statement asking for them to be done to code.  If the repairs were simply cosmetics, I doubt it if you could receive any satisfaction since the result could be subjective.  Your buyer agent should be able to advice you on this matter. 

>>>it may be possible to have seller pay a portion of your closing cost in lieu of repairs.<<<

This is only true if the lender approves the seller paying the closing costs for the buyer - lenders are bound by regulation and cannot exceed a certain limit.

It is always best to have it all written in the contract - the seller's standard for repairs may be different from the buyer's expectations.

If the repairs are basically cosmetic, it may be possible to have seller pay a portion of your closing cost in lieu of repairs.  Your lender should be able to tell you whether this will work.

A few years ago probably , but not likely now. Be prepared to walk away and hold your ground.

This can be tricky. I would first have your inspector come back and certify the repairs. Also, the seller should be able to provides you receipts for the repairs. If there are no receipts and the home inspector agrees that they are not repaired "To Code" then I believe that you can demand that the repairs be in compliance with code or local standards. Your agent will need to negotiate with the listing agent and even the listing side broker.

It's a little tricky to get cash back at closing. It distorts all of the asset requirements for qualification.
Are these major repairs or cosmetic?

When we've had repairs requested as part of a purchase agreement, the repairs had to pass a reinspection  by the original inspector before the closing could move forward.   If the repairs did not pass inspection (by an unbiased third party), then the best course is to request that the seller meet a certain standard.    Your agent should be helping you with this.  

One of the challenges you may find is that while the repairs are not up to your standard, an inspector may pass them.  If the inspector does not pass them (not you, the inspector), then perhaps you could amend the contract for cash back at closing.

I hope you have not gone to settlement yet? I am also curious as to where your Realtor was durring your final walk thru. Dont get me wrong, I would have never taken my clients too settlement without the home being completed as agreed. You should be speaking with your agent, ASAP!