Can I require a landlord to change the garage door keypad lock if too many people know it?

I found out the landlord has given out the code to the garage keypad to many people, most relatives, but a few strangers also.  He refuses to change it, claiming I'm unnecessarily concerned---he wants repair people to be able to access my place whether I'm here or not---I don't.  Comments?  I'm in Arizona

August 23 2012 - US

It certainly seems to be a waste of time posting the question on here...

Since the landlord lives across the country and is rarely around, and since the agreement is for the tenant to provide maintenance and security..., I can't imagine why the tenant hasn't changed the code on the keypad themselves already.  It is extremely simple to do and takes less than 5 minutes.

And we are supposed to second guess "unusual conditions"?  If you don't even give the relevant details, than no answer given would be relevant either.

No.  If I  were going to do that, I'd have done it already.  The point is that he has violated  the original agreement several times---both our verbal one and the written lease---I've had a few surprises.  I'm only pointing out the lease to say that I haven't yet used it as leverage to go back to our original agreement and get him to show a little respect and courtesy---the same as I've been showing him.  But he's pushing me that way.  I haven't mentioned all  that's been going on.  And re-read his comment : " I don't give a damn about your rights.  I think he means it."

P.S.  Me no snicker LOL

Okay, so he made a mistake in the lease paper work that you didn't point out when you noticed it,  and you wish to take advantage of that situation?    I can hear you snickering "He screwed the pooch".    You are getting a bargain, perhaps some sympathy would be appropriate.  

Perhaps I should have stated this is a very unsual arrangement I'm in where I am sort of taking care of the place for reduced rent and he lives across country, only coming here once a month or so.  As a  realtor, I already know the landlord tenact laws for the most part, however, as I said, this is a  tricky situation, and he stupidly told me yesterday :"I don't care about your rights".  I've prepared an extensive email to send him letting him he needs to care.  He is under the misumpression that he only rented me a room and will have access to the master, but technically the lease reads that I am to be the sole occupant---period.  He screwed the pooch when he copied the lease from online and didn't cater it to the situation.  It also states that no other contract, verbal  or written matters, that this one supercedes any others

Thank you all for your responses, and I welcome more

I'm so sorry. I missed the fact that you already posted where you lived. Must be my summer brain... :P Take a ook at the Arizona Landlord Tenant Act to see what your legal options are and what the landlord responsibility is.

There are also links to other tenant resources in Arizona that might be useful on that same page.

In addition to Sunnyview's comments, make sure you always have the door from the garage to the house locked.

You need to make the request in writing with a return receipt (or BCC email back to yourself) and state that you do not want his relatives and strangers with open access to your house. Ask him to change the code and tell him if he does not, that you will be forced to press the issue for safety's sake. What state are you in?