Profile picture for froggerqueen2

Can I sell my lot?

I own 2 lots that I would like to sell. I can't find a website to sell them on my own. Can I use Zillow to help me sell them?

May 04 2011 - Mechanicsville

shenelhv -

You can post a land for sale using Zillow. When you are on the page for home facts, make sure to choose vacant land/lot as the property type.

Ice

Profile picture for shenelhv
I need to sell my lot in FL.  Can I use Zillow?

If you want to do FSBO (for sale by owner), Zillow charges $39.95 for a 6 month listing.  It does accept empty lots.  You can also set a "make me move" on it for free.

If they actually are your lots, and you price them right, of course you can sell them, unless you owe more on them then they are worth, in which case you would need to discuss a "short sale" option with your lender(s).

If you are interested in doing a FSBO, you really should read the blog by Rockinblu on the subject.  (He was successful selling by owner listing primarily on Zillow):

Thinking About doing a For Sale by Owner?

Feel free to give me a call at 804-512-6501 to discuss. I have sold numerous lots in the area.

FInd a good, experienced LOCAL Realtor who works with builders.
Talk to them.  Often, people in my area own 2 lots, 2 tax maps, 2 tax bills, but unbeknownst to them, they are actually joined and only usable/buildable as ONE lot.  In my town, if someone owns 2 lots that are under 1 acre, and they own them in the same name, and they are next to each other, the town joins them.   You need more information.  The value is obviously higher as 2 buildable lots.  Are they buildable?  Do you know the zoning regs? 
Do they have building permits, health dept. permits?  Will you sell to a builder who will only buy subject to getting permits. (usually at their own expense, but they tie up the property for 1-2 years waiting on the town for a yes / no on building)  If they are not buildable, then they really only have a small value to those who own adjacent property.  The difference can be hundreds of thousands of dollars.  You need answers, can you get them on your own?

You are probably better off contacting some builders who are local to your area and let them know you are interested in selling. Land prices are not strong because generally builders are finding it hard to get financing, but some of them may have end users who are looking for a lot to build on, so just making them aware will be of great help. Some real estate agents will have builder lists, but if you search online you can probably find them yourself. Good luck