Can I switch buyer's agents?

About 2 years ago I contacted and met with a buyers agent and realized that I wasn't ready to purchase a home. Fast forward to now and I am ready. I contacted him again and at first he seemed ready and willing to work with me. After I told him about my pre-approval and the price range I was looking it seemed like he became disinterested. I emailed him at 6AM Monday morning trying to set up a meeting so we can talk about what I am looking for and I have gotten no response back. I have not signed any contracts with, as we have not met in person yet. Is it safe to assume this guy isn't interested in helping me and I can start looking for a new agent? 

Thanks for reading, I know it was wordy!
  • May 01 2013 - US
  • 0

Definitely let it go.  The highest level of buyer protection is through an Exclusive Buyer Agent.  You can get a referral to an EBA in your area at www.NAEBA.org.

I would not stick with that buyer's agent based on what you say is happening. There are a lot of good agents out there. If you're not clicking with the agent you found two years ago or they are not interested in helping now, that is actually good news for you since it happened early.

Don't settle for an agent that puts you second as a client right out of the gate. Interview a small handful of agents and ask your neighbors, family, friends for referrals of agents that did a good job for them. Also look for agent names you see consistently in neighborhood that interest you.

There are some interview questions to start with, but listening to your gut and doing a careful interview is your best strategy to finding the right agent to hire.

Mr. Lucente

You're quickly falling into the chasm that so many other agents have fallen into before you.

I would suggest letting it go. Remember that your clients (past, present and future) can see that your comments have been removed (for whatever reason). And without knowing the context of your deleted comments, I would suggest they might believe the worst.

And no, Wetdawgs is neither an employee of Zillow nor is 'he' a 'he'.

Pleasure talking with you!
Glad I can help brighten your day !

ROFL!!

Nowhere in my post did I mention the company you just did.  So lets say you don't post comments for money for this company, there are 38,000 contributions under your pseudo name !!  Your post stay up while mine get flagged...  not a conspiracy theory, but hard cold facts.

Btw- if you weren't busy attacking agents in posts you'd find out, if you did a little research,  that there is a little know thing as outsourcing and independent contracting going on in the world.

I don't work for Zillow (everything is accurate in my profile).   Your conspiracy theory is interesting, but all wet.

Add value to your participation in Zillow, the GNP is only a start.

Mr Wetdawgs,

Your constant disparaging remarks does not look good for your company.

So SoCal_Engr (3500+ Posts) and Dunes (6500+ posts) referred this to you wetdawgs (38000+ Posts) referred this to you because you obviously have more experience posting then...

Just want to know why there is ZERO information about any of you, no way to email you, no info about where you're from, no way to review you.

Can you tell me why? 
And why do you keep repeating my name?

If anybody is reading this post, they know who your talking about.

Mr Lucente:  Respectful disagreement  and polite differences of opinion are always allowed on Zillow.  Personal attacks disappear quickly.  There is a huge difference. 

Zillow employees have green tags.  You are apparently confused on who is a Zillow employee.

I see the office email is working great.
All my posts have been flagged and removed, but yet all yours have remained intact...so the personal attacks on me are fair game.

Well at least you all have something to talk about at lunch time... Mr. 38,000 posts... what a joke.

Profile picture for Robyn Nasuti
If you have not signed a buyer's Agent contract you can certainly find someone who is interested and responsive. I would suggest asking the agent some get to know you questions so you can make sure they know your needs. Ask how they will communicate with you (Via text, email, phone, etc.) Set your expectations up front and find the right person for you.

Mr Lucente failed to mention that he copied and pasted his comments on short sales from this site.

Zillow employees have green tags by their names. 

Should Mr Lucente continue personal attacks, his posts will be flagged.  I see the moderators hit several of them already for inappropriate personal comments.

[Content removed by moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy  for guidelines on playing well with others in Advice]

What is a Short Sale?

A Short Sale, also known as a pre-foreclosure sale, is when you sell your home for less than the balance remaining on your mortgage. If your mortgage company agrees to a Short Sale, you can sell your home and pay off all (or a portion of) your mortgage balance with the proceeds. Fannie Mae's program is called Short Sale/HAFA II.

A Short Sale is an alternative to foreclosure and may be an option if:

• You are ineligible to refinance or modify your mortgage
  • You are facing a long-term hardship
  • You are behind on your mortgage payments
  • You owe more on your home than it's worth
  • You have not been able to sell your home at a price that covers what you still owe on your mortgage
  • You can no longer afford your home and are ready or need to leave

What are the benefits of a Short Sale?

• Eliminate or reduce your mortgage debt
  • Avoid the negative impact of Forclosure 
  • Start repairing your credit sooner than if you went through a foreclosure
  • May be able to get a Fannie Mae mortgage to purchase a home sooner (in as little as 2 years) than if you went through foreclosure (up to 7 years)

Keep in mind, Your mortgage company wants to help you avoid foreclosure and, in most cases, will be willing to work with you. The biggest mistake you can make is to wait any longer to take action. Contact your mortgage company today to determine if you are eligible for a Short Sale.

Best of luck!

Profile picture for Dunes ..
The nice thing about a Forum like this is you post what you post and I post what I post
Then
Whoever passes by/looks on can decide for themselves what to leave with.

I'm good with that.....I'm very pleased consumers can read what you have to say
Very pleased ;)

Thank you

[Content removed by moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Since I'm  criticizing Agents by posting info/links to info....here's some more criticizing

User5404734 did you know or are you aware of all your options if you do decide to find a new Agent?

Did you know "Rebates" are legal in 40 States
From the Dept. of Justice Anti-Trust Division Web Site

Rebates and Inducements

"Some real estate brokers have increasingly begun to compete for customers by offering cash rebates or other inducements to home buyers and sellers. Rebates that go directly to buyers or sellers lower costs on both sides of the transaction. Cash rebates are usually calculated as some fraction of the broker's commission and can result in thousands of dollars being returned to the consumer."

What are the laws in your state?

Competing models of real estate brokerage

Consumers can save thousands of dollars in commissions

Whatever you decide...whichever route you take
Good Hunting

Profile picture for Dunes ..

LOL
I quoted & posted a link to an article by Elizabeth Weintraub a well known REALTOR who posts here occasionally and buys advertising here
I'll pass along that you feel she is critical of Agents on this site

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Shop around..shop smart
The selection of an Agent is an important one..one you should make not someone else

Agents offering to make a referral are not doing you a favor, they are attempting to make money..a referral fee

How Much Do Referral Agents Earn as a Referral Fee?

"It depends on a variety of factors, but many referral fees range from 10% to 50% of the total commission received. To understand how much money this is, you need to know that most commissions are split between listing and selling brokers. There is a listing commission and a selling commission."  Real Estate Agents and Referral Fees

Shop Smart & Good Luck

Profile picture for Kim Ketcher
I would definitely try to find another agent. Where are you looking to buy? If in Oklahoma, I would love to help you! Also, on Zillow, there is the "Find a Pro" section in the toolbar up top. You can read the reviews and that will help make a better decision for you hopefully. Good luck!

Yes I would move on and find another agent. 

What area are you looking to purchase in?

Yes, find another agent.

Thank you Dan for your response to So Cal...you said just what I was thinking and said it perfectly!

Eve

[Content removed by moderator Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Wow, Dan. You have no idea where the OP is, and you already know "the area's local expert"? That's either amazing, or pathetic. Anything for a referral fee?

Hi user5404734,

Sounds like you're geared up to purchase!

I'd be happy to work with you if you're located here in Georgia.

If not, I'd be happy to refer you to a top agent in my referral network that will work with you to get the home you desire and/or require.

You can contact me on my website [content removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]

Regards, [content removed by moderator]

ABSOLUTELY MOVE ON! He doesn't deserve your business or your time.  There are plenty of agents that will work with you.  Start by contacting a few you see on Zillow that have good reviews.

Yes - it is time to look for another Agent.

In my professional opinion, here is what you should expect in an Agent:

1) A strong formal advanced Real Estate education. A "CRS" designation means that your Realtor is a Certified Residential Specialist. This is to your benefit if you are buying a home. An ePro designation means that your Realtor has had advanced formal training in technology as it applies to the Real Estate Industry. That is also important in this day & age.

2) Experience. Every Real Estate transaction is different - sometimes just a bit and sometimes a lot! No matter whether someone is racing Nascar, performing brain surgery, or helping someone buy a home - the more often someone engages themselves in the tasks of their chosen profession, the more opportunity they have to excel at it. Experience is important.

3) A World-Class Standard of Service. Why World Class? Because you are not buying a pack of gum. You are buying a home - maybe the most expensive purchase of your life. And because you are making your biggest purchase - why wouldn't you expect the best standard of service you've ever experienced?

A final word about perspective... Even if you are in a price range of 50k, you should expect to be treated the same as a multi-million dollar client. I am NOT saying my multi-million dollar clients are not important. But rather, I AM saying that they are no more important than my 50k clients. ALL my clients are very special people and quite often - their home purchase is a very precious DREAM of theirs. And it is so cool that I get to say that for a living - I actually help make dreams come true. Seriously - how cool is that?! From this perspective, NO-ONE can say that one dream has value over another.

If your Realtor is truly dis-interested because of your price range, then I feel sorry for him. He has a chance to literally make a dream come true, and is focusing instead on money. If that is true, then that is sad.

Get another Realtor. (And you thought you were wordy...)

Profile picture for Matt Hiatt
Since you have not signed an agreement, and have not viewed properties (That would only matter if you viewed a property with the agent and decided to purchase it). you can go to another agent. I just closed one last week where the agent kept giving my clients excuses why she couldn't show them homes, and they just moved in today with a home they love after contacting me. In the Phoenix market, with the amount of Realtors compared to sales, I do not understand an agent that does not take care of their client.

You have signed no representation agreement nor have you yet viewed any properties. These are the two areas that can often 'bind' you to an agent.

So feel free to move on to a new agent.