Profile picture for Robyn The Realtor

Can I turn off the Water?

I am in the process of evicting a tenant that has not paid in 2 months.  Yes, I should have done it earlier, but here we are.  I have given all the required legal notices, and filed in court this week.  My question is:  My owner is paying water for that residence.  It is my understanding that with a 3 day notice, we can turn off the water.  Is that true?
  • July 22 2012 - Fort Worth

Profile picture for Robyn The Realtor
Well, the tenant left.  I had a Real Estate Attorney in Texas tell me that with all the court documents filed and in order, that I could give notice that the water would be disconnected and turn it off - about a 3 day notice.  This probably varies from state to state, but it was good news.

I don't advise this for others, but it worked for me.  The eviction notice didn't get them, but no water did!  They are gone!!!
Now I just have to go back to court to recapture the lost income.

This was ONLY true because the landlord was paying for the water.

In my state, the landlord can't turn off utilities to try to get a tenant out of the property.  One has to file an eviction notice with the appropriate authorities and then follow the laws about eviction.   It sounds like you've done this, so if the time has past beyond their three days for eviction, then check with your attorney for proper protocol..

Profile picture for Don Greenberg
I don't know what the laws are in Texas but you better be sure you are following them properly as it can turn around and get you. How does the lease read in regards to utilities?