Profile picture for CherylSchofield

Can a Renter keep last month's rent and deposit for damages?

My landlord refuses to give me the last months rent and says he needed it for repairs to his house that he found after our walk through together. We both agreed to me moving out 2 1/2 weeks earlier than the lease was up, because he had new renters that wanted to move in at the first of the month. These repairs were never brought up in our walk through together and frankly i know nothing of them. Then I get a check for $75 and a huge list of things he had to fix and found wrong with the house after the fact. He owed me about $800, with the prorated rent and $300 security deposit. Please HELP I am getting taken advantage of and am a single mom that really needs her money back!!!
  • July 01 2013 - Clearfield
  • 0

Best Answer

When you walked through with the landlord, did the two of you go through a checklist and both sign off on the check list  after the walk through?   Is the landlord changing things that appeared okay on the checklist and now he is charging you?   Did you keep a detailed photo record of the condition of the place?   If that is the case, now you need to contact your state's landlord/tenant folks for some assistance.

Profile picture for CherylSchofield
We did a walk through and none if the things the landlord listed as being fixed were wrong with the house that day. How can he list things after that day and charge me for them? Broken windows and floor tiles??? None of these things we damaged when we did our walk through together? Isn't last months rent, only to be used for rent? I thought that is why I paid a deposit for cleaning and damages. How can he keep my rent for these things that were never damaged when we went through the house together?

Landlords may keep a deposit to compensate for unpaid rent, damages beyond reasonable wear and tear, cleaning, and other costs provided for in the rental contract. If (a landlord) keeps a tenant's deposit, (they) must detail all (their) expenses allowed by law or under the lease, deduct them from the deposit, and then refund the difference to the tenant.

Utah State Courts.