Can a new owner of a property make me move out if I have 2 yrs left on my lease.

• November 15 2012 - US
  • 0

Yes, in some circumstances.

The rules for most leases and carry over of the lease to new owners depend on the state, the plan of the new owner, and whether or not the property was a foreclosure. 

In most (but not all) states after a sale (if not a foreclosure),  if the new owners are planning to make it their primary residence they can give 90 d notice.  

A lease that is longer than standard (e.g. two years rather than one), may  be challenged.  Some people try to do that to get a way below market rate for a couple of years after a short sale.   

Please pull up your state's landlord/tenant laws, and then if those don't clarify the issue call the  state hot line number provided or contact an attorney.  There are many possibilities.

The general rule is that the new owner takes the property not subject to the lease.  The new owner can void or assume the lease.  Local laws may vary.  It also depends on the deed and transaction contracts.