Can a non-citizen be listed on the title?

I am looking to buy an investment property with a 30 year fixed rate mortgage and a 20% down payment.  My husband is not an American citizen or permanent resident.  Can his name be listed on the title if I am taking out a mortgage in my name only?  He does not have a credit history in the US and we are currently living abroad.  I will be able to qualify for the loan based on my income and our savings.  Can I put his name on the title now or will I be able to do it at a later date without refinancing?

• November 26 2013 - Denver
  • 0

Yes he can be on title and that can happen at the closing table if you would like so it will be recorded at the same time as when your mortgage gets recorded.  You will have to advise your lender of this when you are preparing for the closing. 

I do have a couple questions for you after reading your question.  Being that you are living abroad do you still have US credit in good standing?  Do you still file American taxes on your income?  Do you have any American bank accounts? 

These are a few items that will likely come up when you are looking to complete your transaction.

Tom

You can add your husband onto the title after you close on the purchase. That way you are the only one on the loan but the property is legally owned by both of you.    You would need to fill out a grant deed and have it recorded at the county recorders office. 

This deed is used to add people onto title, take people off title, transfer title from a person to a trust, or change names (ie: marriage)

The process is pretty simple and cheap.   Usually only costs about $100 for the recording fee. 

Yes! The mortgage and title are separate. Even though only your name will on the mortgage, you can add his name to the title as well. If you want him to be on the mortgage later on, then you will have to refinance. The best thing for you to do is to speak with a lender like myself who would be glad to speak with you to help you get the loan that you need. If you have any further questions or if you would like a loan, feel free to contact me.

yes you don't have to be a citizen to own property. The beauty of our system is that anyone can own property.

0