Can a seller sell a home at a homes projected value 3 years from today?

The home was built in 1930 has an Zestimate value of $66,000 and he is trying to sell it to me for $120,000 going by the projected projects that are suppose to be occurring in the neighborhood three years down the road. The houses on either side have sold for $72,000 and  $74,000 a number of years ago. This house was built in 1930, has not seen any updated repairs in years. Does not have central air or central heat. 
  • June 25 2012 - Capitol View Manor
  • 0

Best Answer

That "zestimate" is whack but not as whack as the seller. I'm a FNMA foreclosure appraiser and I've been hearing about "the future" of this and that in Atlanta and I'm still waiting. Capital Manor is a teens to thirties area, don't expect anything beyond that.

Profile picture for NikoleD
Sellers can ask whatever they want. If the buyer agrees but needs to get a loan , that's where the problems can start. It will need to appraise at market value. Beware cash buyers you can always write appraisal in as a condition of sale as well just to confirm market value. Hope this helped a bit. 

You can sell for whatever price you want, but if the buyer is financing the house it will have to appraise for the sales price or they will have to use cash to pay the difference.

You can sell a house for whatever price you feel the market will accept. If the client is paying cash, then you can make up whatever rules you want.  If you are borrowing from a bank, you will be confined to the guidelines that they have have and also will need the appraisal to back up the sales price.

A seller can sell for whatever he wants, if he finds a buyer willing to go along with him.  You are probably trying to lease with option to buy, am I correct?

A seller can ask any price he wants, but the buyer needs to do their due diligence on prices.

I'd simply say "I'm buying today, I'm not buying three years from now.  Thanks, but no thanks."   and more on to more promising properties.
A mortgage company won't lend on projected value either.

I say yes. Of course MY projected value is 30% less than the prices of today. I would be happy to have the seller sell me the house for what I think it would be worth in 3 years today. That big discount would be appreciated.

The only way to sell a house for what it will be worth tomorrow is to wait until tomorrow to sell it for that higher price.

I project that my 17 year old car will be worth 35% more in 12 years. Who would pay that premium today?

Thumbs up for Hank's reply.

Profile picture for Joseph Owens
Not unless he has a crystal ball. As we all know there are so many economic forces at work in the market, that kind of prediction is impossible. But you have to admire his nerve.

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
If he can find a buyer stupid enough. Find something else, and let him sit on his overpriced property.