Can a student get approved for a loan with a good mortgage rate right after graduation

Looking to move to Nashville, TN preferably close to the city in June 2014. Enough money saved to pay 20% down in cash on a $40,000-$60,000 home. Would look for a 2+ bedroom house and roommate would pay mortgage in place of rent. Not sure of my credit score, but I have had a student credit card for about 3 years and always paid in full on time. Is this feasible? Would a bank loan me the money for this? Is this a good plan out of college? Hopefully I will have a job, but there is no way to tell at this point in time. I don't want to waste money paying $500+ on rent, when I can be making my money work for me and own a home in the end. Need advice. 
  • July 29 2013 - Nashville

Dear user: You will need to have a job and have an established job history of at least 6-12 months before any lender would consider a loan. Also knowing your own credit score now would help you assess your financial situation. Best of Luck!

Profile picture for edboner
Some professions may qualify sooner.  Are you employed or still looking and what was your major/field?  Were you working while going to school and will your job appear to be a promotion within the same field?  Don't assume you qualify or won't until you sit down with an experienced lender.

Profile picture for TeamJoeYoung
It sounds like you have a great plan! Just go get that job and keep it for a while and go get your credit score, you can get it for free online. You will be fulfilling your goals in no time

"Hopefully I will have a job"    Hopefully isn't enough.   When you have a job or other verifiable steady source on income,  then you will be able to apply for a mortgage.   

Take the time to learn your credit scores.