Can an agent sue a reviewer and Zillow?

Hi I'm user4136013 and Harpole is threatening to sue me for my review and Zillow for allowing it I guess. Should I do anything? Do you want me to remove the review even though everything in it is true?

Leta Tillitt
  • October 31 2013 - Santa Clara
  • 1

I am sorry you experienced a less than stellar relationship with a real estate agent.  I have read your review. 

I am not suggesting that you leave it, nor am I suggesting that you remove it.

I will give you some food for thought.  While there are those who would say a lawyer would not take the case, I would not be that cavalier.. 

There is a case involving a contractor in Virginia which has made the news because of an internet review.  Defamation Suit.  Reading further in the article it indicates these types of actions are on the rise. The contractor sued for $750,000 citing loss of business.

No one can tell you for sure what the other party may or may not do.

I am sorry to hear that an agent is bullying you for providing a factual negative review.  I (not a Zillow employee) am impressed with how you provided details for  your opinion of the agents' performance and think it should stand.    The ' response was about as unprofessional as it comes, IMHO, and as the agent team knew your name from the description of the facts it makes me suspect they performed the way you described it.

I forwarded this post number and a link to the review and response to the head of customer service and Zillow, so I hope she responds to you tomorrow.  (Watch your spam filter, sometimes Zillow emails get caught in spam).

I wouldn't do anything. If what you posted was true in your opinion and can be backed up by facts, they are legally out of gas no matter what they threaten.

The good news is that most lawyers are know that this type of suit is pointless if you can prove what you said is true or even that is is your honest opinion based on events not spite alone.

Truthfully, I'd be quite indignant if someone tried to bully me and I would suggest to them that you stand behind your review and will press a harassment claim if they keep contacting you in any way.

It appears from their response to your honest criticism that the firm remains unrepentant. I think that is sad, but I commend you for standing up to say no more.