Can anyone give me a cost estimate to add a bathroom and 250-300 sq ft addition...

I'm looking for a general cost to add a bathroom and about 250-300 sq ft.

The bathroom would be a 3 piece - toilet, stand up shower (tiled w/glass doors) and double vanity. It will be on a wall that has a bathroom/plumbing on the other side of the wall already. Also, the general cost to extend a bedroom out into the backyard of the house about 250-300 sq ft (I don't think any electrical would need to be added, basically just shifting a wall back). The house has vinyl siding on the back. 

We are in the midwest, in Missouri. We would be doing most of the labor ourselves, besides construction/foundation and outside walls. In other words, we'd be purchasing/installing the toilet, vanity/sink, tile (but not shower) in the bathroom.

Also, while we're at it, how much money could we save drywalling/mudding/taping everything ourselves?

These are hypothetical questions, I'm just looking for very general cost estimates. Nothing super fancy, but not absolute lowest grade materials either.

• January 22 2013 - Springfield
  • 0

Great information cbrcrs. I appreciate you taking the time to post it. I am actually considering adding a bath to an existing space with an existing roof and walls. I figured it would cost about 5K for the bathroom if I did the work mostly myself with a plumber for the technical aspects. Thumb to you for the info!
  • January 08

Profile picture for cbrcrs
I noticed that I am WAY past due on this post (original post in 2013) but 250-300 sqft is HUGE (10'x30')!
Standard bathroom is 5'x8', that includes the depth of the tub. (40sqft)
Cost on adding a bathroom depends if you have an existing room or if you will be adding a new roof to cover the new room. The latter is the most expensive as you will have framing costs (and permits and blueprints,etc) and could cost $10-$15k. To convert an existing room (depending how close plumbing and electric are) to a BathR will range from about $4k-$10k (depending on the level of material, and if you do it yourself or hire a contractor).
  • January 08

Profile picture for kcmgr1
user9210641   did you go for it ?  Can you share how much it ended up costing ?

[promotion deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

You need to call some local contractors so they can see what you have and sit down with you and go over things.
I looked at the costs on the other posts and they are way off if you live where I do, I have a hard enough time getting a fraction of those costs.
I'm sure it is probably the same there.

Make some calls , most estimates don't cost anything for you, just get some references, follow up on calls, look at the proposals you receive and make sure you pick the right one...not always the cheapest.
-Joseph-

Profile picture for RaulAmoros
Hello, I found a very general Bathroom cost guide, I hope this is what you wanted to read.

I'm not sure that I can post the website, so if it happens to get deleted, just do a search for bathroom cost calculator. 

I found this website where it takes into consideration where you live to estimate construction costs for bathrooms.  Hope this helps.

http://www.costestimator.com/hgtvbath/index.jsp