Profile picture for kay2355

Can i be forced to vacate or sell?

My husband had passed away 6 months ago.  He bought our house in his name only around 8 years ago with countrywide, now BOA. it was bought in orange county, florida. He bought it while we were married.   He has since passed. I have been paying the mortgage on schedule, however my question is.  My name is not on the mortgage or deed, only as an authorized person at BOA.  What happens now.  Can the bank force me to sell, or can they just take the house all together.  What lies ahead. Ive tried to refinanced in my name however my income limits me. Can I even sell the property. Please and thank you.
  • May 16 2011 - Orlando
  • 0

If the home was purchased while married you should be on the deed, even if not on the mortgage. If you are current on your payments I do not see how you could be forced to move or sell. Of course your FIRST STEP should be to contact a real estate attorney, preferably one practicing in the county of the property. This call will give you all of the information you need and put your mind at ease.

Profile picture for shapiroamg
Without knowing much detail, I would suggest looking at a reverse mortgage if you are 62 years old +. This could work if the house is probated to you.

An attorney though should be your first call.

This is really a legal question as it pertains to whether or not you assumed your husbands assets upon his passing.

If you're a resident of Orange County Florida and you are financially unable to afford an attorney, contact the Orange County Legal Aide office.

Their number is 407-841-8310 extension #1

Their website is here