Profile picture for CGillingwater

Can lender demand certifications post-closing?

I recently purchased a house through Wells Fargo. During the transactions important documents were lost, sometimes three or four times and the mess was catastrophic. Closing only took place on time because my attorney made serious threats against the lender. Three months later, Wells Fargo is back demanding two certifications. One of these certifications was performed without my knowledge or permission when I wasn't home. The second is a roof certification. Our attorney said he'd never heard of this post-closing and did not believe WFHM had the right to force this. He said to demand a statement from them regarding the legal grounds under which they could do this. Wells Fargo is being extremely difficult. I would just let them perform the certification, but what happens if the roof doesn't pass? Can they do this without my consent? 
  • July 23 2012 - Macon
  • 0

Profile picture for Open Home Mortgage
It's in your best interest to comply.  Without supplying the info, the lender may not be able to get your loan insured (if an FHA), or may not be able to sell to Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac....which may benefit you in the future.

Profile picture for Go Huskers
My question would be why are you asking a bunch of strangers when you are represented by an attorney? 

" Can they do this without my consent?"

What did your attorney say?

Let me add one other point.  You likely signed a statement where you agreed to assist the lender with technical errors or oversights after closing.  This is usually reserved for simple mistakes on documents, but you can certainly look for it among your closing papers to see if you signed such a document. 

With respect to whether you cooperate, that's really a private decision with respect to how you conduct your personal business.  If you are able to cooperate and if it will only cost you some inconvenience, then the only reason I see for you to refuse is to be vindictive in response to the lender's poor service.  Is that really what you want to do? 

Is there are reason you don't wish to provide this information?    It would probably be far easier than getting financing from another lender.

Why is it so hard for you to just cooperate?   They lent you money to allow you to purchase your new home.   It sounds like they were forced to fund your loan when they were missing items they needed because of the threats of your attorney. (doing you a favor)

Now that it is all over, they are still missing items they need to have a sellable loan and you don't want to cooperate.   They will probably unfund your loan and then you will be scrambling to find a new lender.

Just give them what they need