Can my agent show me another house while negotiating another contract?

I know I cannot have a contract on two houses at once, but I am still in negotiations with the current offer.  The seller has rejected my offer and counter offered.  I have not agreed to his counter offer.  Meanwhile, there's another house I would prefer, but I don't want to cancel this contract until I view the other house and confirm it's available.
My agent refuses; she says it's against the law for me to even view the house.
Love Zillow!  Found both of these houses using this site.
  • August 17 2013 - Princess Anne Plaza
  • 0

Great question.  I encourage my clients to keep their eyes on the market while under contract until all contingencies are removed.  It is certainly not against the law seeing another home for sale with your agent under any circumstances, assuming you have the seller's/listing agent's permission.

Joe McAvoy

If you haven't signed the counter offer, you don't have an accepted purchase agreement.

This would allow you to see the other home.

But once you sign the purchase agreement and return it, you are bound to the 1st home (excepting any contingencies which would excuse you from the contract).

Here in NV you can view and write up as many deals as you can afford.

Sounds to me like the agent is trying to get out of showing you more homes.

doesn't sound like a very hard working agent.

Profile picture for edboner

I've been a broker in Florida for more than 25 years.  My client always comes first and it would be in your interest to consider other options...."especially"....if in an "non-bound" offer/counter offer stage.  You would logically want to see other possible properties.  As an agent, I would always encourage a buyer to look at newly available properties.   

WHAT!?  Either she's confused or lazy!  You have every right to continue looking at houses.  The seller's counter-offer for all intents and purposes has made your original offer null and void - IF you don't want to consider it.  Unless the seller gave you a timeline to respond, go look at something else that might be better!  You won't know until you look.  Then you can make a more educated counter-offer or just pull your offer completely and move on to the next one.

Profile picture for Tony Ngai
Yes, you can still view houses to determine if the counter offer is still the house you want.