Profile picture for rbaustin

Can spouse pay entire downpayment?

I plan to be the sole person on the loan but me and my spouse will both be on the title ( I guess TX law). Can my spouse pay the entire 5% downpayment? Or do I have to come up with the entire downpayment with my own funds?

• July 25 2013 - Austin
  • 0

Best Answer

if you were putting a full 20% down, it can be done however if it is only 5% then it would have to be a joint account and then a letter from the peron not on the loan itself would have to indicate that they have access to the account. And a gift letter would be filled out as well.

If it is a seperate account and only 5% than it can not be done. That is a standard Fannie Mae freddie Mac guideline.

Good luck and let me know if i can be of any other assistance!

This is fine.
Underwriter will want a letter ffrom her saying that you have acces to those funds. Maybe a gift letter.
We do this all of the time.

Let me know if I can answer any follow up questions.
Tom Burris

Profile picture for rbaustin
Thanks guys for your help!!

You should just need a gift letter from your wife if the funds are not in a joint account.  If the funds are in a joint account, then you may just be required to provide a use of funds letter from your spouse stating you have full access and use of all funds in the joint account.

Profile picture for rbaustin
Thanks Mike and Scott..

So if I understand this correctly, if my spouse adds me as a joint account holder in the bank account, then that should suffice (of course in addition to the gift letter and access to account letter). In that case I do not need to transfer funds from my spouse's account into my account. Just add myself to my spouse's account...

The spouse can 100% gift downpayment/closing costs. Fannie Mae changed this, so now it's allowable. You'd just need to provide a gift letter with the proof of funds.