Profile picture for TamaraCurran

Can the owners charge me for a stolen bed they allowed me to store?

They told me I could store their bed on the "the property's" storage facilities. I did sign a waiver that stated I would be responsible for any "damages". It was my responsibilty to have it put back when I moved out. I recently found out the bed was stolen. So they are now telling me they are going to keep 300$ of my deposit toward buying a new bed. Can they do this? Can I fight this somehow?

April 30 2012 - Kailua Kona

Who had access to the storage facilities on site?  Were you renting that too?  Was the lock cut or broken?  Was there any other evidence of "forced entry?

We don't have enough information to determine liability.  If there was a burglary on the property, there should have been a police report filed.

I do believe this would have been a good question before you signed the waiver.     Perhaps your renter's insurance will cover it or you can review the issue with an attorney (for about $300).

Sounds kind of fishy. Sign the waiver then the bed is "stolen". A $300 lesson learned. One way of looking at it is you don't actually have to come out of pocket because you already paid the deposit sometime ago. Never take responsibility for something that is not yours, why didn't they take it with them. If you were not negligent you may have recourse , damage and theft are two different things. You are not a security guard are you , would they claim responsibility if someone broke into your property and took an item of yours. Responsibility for damages would have to be something that is within your immediate control. Theft on community property is not in your control. I just had a Judge Mathis moment. Consult an attorney you may have a claim.

If you signed a waiver stating you would be responsible for "damages", I think they could certainly do so. While I am not an attorney, I think you may have a tough time fighting this.

If the bed was stolen, are you going to replace it? Again, they didn't want you to remove it, but they allowed you to, and you signed for responsibility.

Also, if you plan on replacing the bed, I don't know how far $300.00 is going to get you. Sounds like the owner is willing to write of his or her loss.