Profile picture for seriosphillipe

Can two people purchase a home even though both are in different states?

My brother and I live in different states. We want to have a secure future foundation. Can we both purchase a home together although we live in different states and only 1 of us will be homesteading the home ?  

April 11 2012 - US

Or just have someone else authorize [Hotlink removed by Zillow moderator. Please see ourGood Neighbor Policy for more information.] and they can just act in your place.

I think there are actually two questions here. The first question, leaglly can two people buy a home that live in two different states. Answer is yes in most cases. However, If you are asking can you and your brother get a loan as a primary residence, then it is more complicated than that. If you are a co borrower then it could very well be your would need to get a loan as your second home.  Regardless of how you have to get your loan, that should not have any effect on the other question.

I believe, and you would have confirm with the Georgia department of revenue, but as long as one of you are using this home as a primary resident you can still apply for homestead exemption.  Also if your brother is not here for closing you can get power of attorney.I hope this helps Phillipe

Yetta

Yes you can serios as long as your brother can sign electronically (email) through your realtor and then for closing the title company will have to fed ex the closing documents to him for his notarized signature.