Can you reject a buyer simply because you don't like them?

Can you legally reject an offer to buy your house simply because you know the buyer personally and don't like them? I live in CT and will soon be listing my house for sale. Someone I have known and disliked for many years has made it clear that he/she is going to 'buy' it. How can I legally prevent this?
  • August 09 2013 - US
  • 0

You are selling your home not getting married.  If they are willing to pay your price and are qualified to purchase why not?  This is a business decision not an emotional one.

Qualified buyers are Golden.  If I did not have buyers waiting in line I'd strongly consider putting my personal feelings aside and moving forward with my life.

Profile picture for edboner
My advice....money is green....price high and laugh all the way to the bank.

Agreed, just make sure your agent agrees (in writing) that you will not accept an offer by this buyer and that you will not compensate even if they bring you an asking or above offer.

As a seller you can even chose not to accept any offers, not even at your full asking price (or above) and offering you or meeting all your terms.  However your agent (listing agent) may have a case for collecting his/her commission because he has done his/her job.

You can choose your buyer on ANY basis that is not protected by law like race, creed, sex, disability etc. That means if the person you know submits an offer, you can reject it without any explanation at all or you can tell them you refuse to sell to them because they wore an ugly dress on Tuesday.

Not all offers are created equal so you can choose a lower offer with a person or terms you prefer over a higher offer with a person or loan type you dislike

If you feel strongly that this person will be an issue, I would make it clear to your listing agent that you will not sell to them and ask that the exclusion be included in your listing contract upfront so everything is clear.

The protected categories in the Fair housing act are race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap.   However, if a potential buyer brings a full price offer and you reject it, you may owe your agent a commission.