Can you tell me about property damage not revealed by owner?

I signed a contract to purchase a home and in the offer waived the inspection. The property damage report required in the contract was signed but not filled out by owner. I agreed to initial the blank report with the word pending beside my initials. The agent stated she would have it filled out. So far no report. I had pest control do an inspection for an estimate for a termite contract. They found moisture and mould that had not been treated. They further told me their records indicated they had inspected the property before and advised the owner of the moisture problem in the same area of the house and it had not been treated. Can I use this information and the lack of disclusure to either negotiate for payment of repair, reduction of price to cover repair or back out of contract without loosing deposit.

July 19 2013 - Aiken

Was the seller an individual who had owned the house for some time, or was a it a foreclosure or estate sale where the seller knew little to nothing about the property?

This is precisely why you should always conduct an inspection on a property. I always recommend it to my clients, and for my own properties that we are planning on renovating. Not sure if your agent is looking after your best interest. Definitely consult a lawyer to see what your options are. Good luck!

I'm not sure why you would ever sign anything that is blank. It concerns me that your agent is not looking out for your best interests.

Although you waived the inspection, the seller should still be responsible for disclosing all material information regarding the property and this includes the termite company's previous findings. And the question I have is did you just waive the inspection or did you waive the inspection or investigation contingency? If you still have a contingency that allows you to cancel the contract based on any material information you receive about the property, then you should be able to cancel and get your deposit back. It's hard to give you a definite answer without seeing the contract, however.

The other thing to point out is if the seller did not disclose a material fact to you, this is fraud. You may want to talk to an attorney if your agent is not being helpful. And if you are being represented by the listing agent, then I suggest you get another agent.

Hopefully you are using your own agent and not the seller's.