Profile picture for newbuyer115

Changing buying agent

We have an agreement with an agent to buy a house. Our offer was accepted and we were working to get the loan approval, etc. But suddenly our agent has to leave country due to a family emergency. He says he'll be back before the closing but I have not heard back from him. I have been scrambling to get the loan approval, settlement issues and inspection addendum work. I know this agent helped us but we really need someone to help us guide through this. Can I change my agent now? If so, what do I need to do? This is in VA.

• March 05 2014 - US
  • 0

I agree.  Call the broker and they will find an agent to assist you.  

Profile picture for Carole Tyne
Sorry, to hear - Doug an wetdawgs are correct - call the broker they should assign someone to complete representing you though the process. 

wetdawgs is right, call the broker/manager and they will hopefully lead you through the rest of the transaction themselves or give it to another agent in the office to facilitate.

It is all but impossible to switch a buyer rep after P & S is complete (its just not going to happen)... the only real alternative if the buyer agent brokerage completely fails you would be to work directly through the listing agent...then the buyer agent and list agency would hash things out later and you and the seller would be totally removed from that whole situation/discussion  (as you should be).

Call your agent's managing broker.   He should have provided you a back up name and number.