Profile picture for carlychristiansen

Changing from oil heat to gas.

I recently purchased a house to flip.  The heater needs to be replaced.  Is it cost eeffective to switch to a gas heater, there is natural gas already in the house but I am trying to keep cost down and I just purchased 100 gals. of oil. The oil tank is located in the basement, which would also give me room in the unfinished basement,  
  • December 20 2012 - US
  • 0

Thanks for posting your question on Zillow.com!

Wow, lot of factors here.  What is the cost for the switch over, are you going to do the basement, will you get the $ out of it in this market, how much profit is built in this flip, etc...

I HIGHLY recommend having a local Realtor come over and have a discussion with you about it.

Best of luck!

In the long run, it is a matter of preference.  Some buyers just want gas and others are afraid of it and prefer oil.  Back to you!

Profile picture for Robb Johnson
I think the cost of not replacing it with Gas heat will be much larger than the initial cost to convert the heat source to gas.
Many buyer are turned off by the smell of the oil and the hassle of call to have the tank filled during the heating season.
My vote replace it. It will be worth it!

Realtor Robb