Profile picture for gowensgl

Class Action Law Suit against Zillow...

If any starts a class action law suit against zillow, I want in on it.  This site has done great damage to my property value by misrepresenting my address with an empty lot next door.  Many hours have been spent trying to get a response but to no end.  I am at my the end of my patience and ready to take action.

• May 22 2008 - US
  • 5

• This thread is currently closed for responses.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

Good luck gowensgl.  This has been brought up before and nothing has ever come of it. 

How has Zillow done any damage at all? Are they appraisers? No. Are they lenders? No. There would be no legal basis for such a suit. But do tell- I'd be curious to know how a website has impacted your property value.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

Oh yeah, in case you have never taken part in one, the only people that make any money out of a class action lawsuit are the lawyers.

Profile picture for klarek the realist

gowensgl, direct your attention and legal threats here, please.

Everybody knows that zillow isn't perfect.  Get over it.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

It might be easier to do a search for "class action" in the discussions, and then read them, and then go hide in your bed and cry or something.   That will do about as much good as this thread will. 

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

Boy I'm feeling evil today, I must be coming down with something.

states don't start class action lawsuits...

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

What do you mean by that azrob?

Profile picture for rockinblu

Jennifer

When we were selling as FSBO a buyer's agent representing a couple referred to the zestimate on our home that had recently dropped by 10 grand. I explained to her how fully aware I was of the inaccuracies of the zestimate. She would have none of it. Right about that time Zillow changed the algorithms they were using and my zestimate spiked by about 15 grand. About 5 grand over my asking. It was amazing how our views on the zestimate flip-flopped. An unrepresented buyer came along and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. The agent's clients, very disappointed, put in a back-up offer slightly better than the first. The first offer went through without a hitch.

Profile picture for mina36
    What Klarek said !

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

If your Zestimate was high, you'd be happy right?

rockin- if you ever hear ANYONE put stock in a Zestimate, have them call me so I can educate them on their foolishness... Uh oh... I'll be getting a lot of phone calls... scratch that... Have them CALL AN APPRAISER. Can't argue with stupid, so I don't envy your position with that buyer/agent. That agent should have their license revoked!

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

lol @ start a class action lawsuit.

in 2-3 years  you'll be lucky if the team of lawyers are able to certify the class.  If the class isnt certified you will likely be responsible for the reimbursment of atleast some of the fees which could be 10k per person.   

so lets see an example. 

Ryland builds crapy houses  that have defects.   after almost 4 years Ryland settles and attorneys get a little over 50%.of a several million  dollar settlement.  homeowners that had 10's of thousands in damages will get anywhere from 1500.00   to about 10k

good luck with that !

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

oh and I forgot to mention about the countless depositions, letters, etc

hope you have alot of free time.

"states don't start class action suits"... means exactly what it says...

A victim sues, then applies to get certified as a class of victims, and have the case represent all of them, rather than each victim suing individually. Unless a state was one of the victims, they would have no standing to sue...

but just so you know, I think your home is worth $4.00 Now I just gave an opinion about your home's value, same as a zillow zestimate. So sue me! good luck!

Profile picture for Silver84

[content removed by moderator for being a personal insult]

Profile picture for mina36

Um Silver.... where is your "contributing positively to ...conversation" here ?

Um, maybe it's just me, but that doesn't sound like AZRob.  I've never known Roberto to use lower case indiscriminately, and the "states don't..." was likely a mis-read of the first post, again unlike Rob.

I was in a hurry earlier, but honestly, I thought that post was hardly worthy of taking the time to write a serious response on here...

I mean, if the OP took 5 minutes on google to read up on class action law, they wouldn't write something so ridiculous. AZ, being a state of retards, attempted some legal attacks on the zestimates. The state board of appraisors sent a "cease and desist" letter to zillow, accusing them of performing appraisals without an appraiser's license. This despite the fact that the national organization of appraisers has made it clear that they do not consider a zestimate the same as an appraisel.

Several legal experts have given their opinions, and mostly they have gone against this action. After all, the county website puts up its valuations, and comparable sales, is the state board going to next sue the county assessor?

Well, it seems to have died and gone away, zestimates are still available in arizona...

I think the first ammendment is going to have something to say here, and that is why I posted what I posted: "I think your home is worth $4.00, now sue me!"... See, I have the RIGHT to have any opinion and share it, that I like, same as zillow does.

I see the subtlety of my point went right over silver84's head though, as she responded calling me an a$$... Oh well, I suppose I shouldn't expect much deep thinking out of the underemployed living at home but soon to be rich because she read one book once types...

Profile picture for blue screen exile

gowensgl -

"Many hours have been spent trying to get a response but to no end"

What kind of response were you expecting?  Them to alter your house info individually?

They already state that the numbers are calculated automatically from public data provided to them by 3rd party providers.  They typically will not alter individual property info but just state for you to be patient until the new data arrives from the 3rd party provider.  If the county information is wrong, you need to go to your county records office and get it fixed there.

Did you try calling Zillow's phone number?  (206)470-7000.

They also have a toll free number that someone posted on the Bugs category.

Did you try sending them a fax?  (206)470-7001.

Did you try E-mailing one of the Zillow moderators?

Did you try flagging one of the moderators' posts?

I don't know how Zillow gets their geocode coordinate data for the individual properties, but I think this still comes from public records and 3rd party providers.  Zillow employees often have indicated that it is only the arial map that is wrong due to their 3rd party map and imaging provider(s) and that this does not affect value calculations at all.  There also have been several threads where Zillow moderators have indicated to Real Estate agents how to correct the location of a listing by creating a new listing.  They have indicated that even empty lots can be listed that way.  And you could always pay them for an advertisment if you want more service from them.

Profile picture for blue screen exile

By the way, tdms has already posted that you can alter the data that affects the zestimate yourself, so if you don't like the estimate, you might as well ask him how to do it, or just fix it yourself.

Profile picture for mpal.

Unfortunately a lot of buyers put stock in the Zestimate.  REA's that I have been in touch with are spending plenty of time telling people that Zestimates mean nothing, get a real appraisal.  It's good for Zillow, yes? Any attention is good attention.  The Zestimate on my house has always been above my selling price, but the house I purchased had an extremely low zestimate, fortunately I know my market, had a real appraisal and didn't bother the seller or agents with zestimates.

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

"I see the subtlety of my point went right over silver84's head though, as she responded calling me an a$$... Oh well, I suppose I shouldn't expect much deep thinking out of the underemployed living at home but soon to be rich because she read one book once types..."

WOW... rob I usually side with you on most issues but this time I'm going to sit this one out. apparently my balls arent big enough to say sh!t like that without wincing when it's coming out of my mouth.

Profile picture for mina36

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

no i didnt...   didnt know there was any history there

Profile picture for mina36
    yeah. Trust me, Rob's comment didn't come out of nowhere.

Profile picture for happy home1

for what??? freedom of speech??

Profile picture for aapostrophe

Profile picture for mina36
    ...not to mention wasting perfectly good bandwidth that could be better spent posting kitteh pics!!!