Closing tomorrow. Any suggestions?

I am closing on my first house tomorrow, and I am having butterflies in stomach.  It's everything that I look for in a dream home.  I received a copy of HUD-1 on Friday, and the mortgage officer said everything looks good.  I also requested a separate closing time from the sellers due to really bad blood that the sellers caused during negotiation, especially after inspection.  Basically, I don't want these sour couples to ruin one of the happiest days in my life, and I don't want to see their faces.

The plan for tomorrow is we are going to go for final inspection and then the title office.  I have no idea what to expect during closing, except bringing the big check, signing a lot of paperwork, and then becoming broke for a while.  I was just curious of there is any particular thing that I should be aware of that would prevent me from closing tomorrow?
  • October 06 2013 - Hammond
  • 0

Have your ID, your closing funds have to be a certified bank check, and you will definitely get writers cramp.

Provided nothing adverse shows up on the walk through there is nothing to impede your closing.

Good luck and just take it easy.  You will be a homeowner tomorrow.  Congrats.

Profile picture for justicefamily
First of all Breathe!  Check the closing statement yourself and make sure you were credited for everything.  You are smart for going to the table with the seller at different times.  Do a thorough walk through since you know the seller doesn't cooperate.  By the time you get to the closing, the seller will have done their part, so you are all good if everyone is smiling when you get there.  Good luck and enjoy your dream home. 

Make sure you bring a photo ID to Closing. Make sure your utilities are on, especially Cable in the event you have an important game (or reality show for your lady-friend) to watch. Champagne and chocolate covered strawberry's for the lady.

Congrats!

Profile picture for Neeraj Jassal
You are smart to not let the bad blood ruin a remarkable achievement - congratulations!

One other thing to check during your final walk-through....windows.  Make sure you check the windows - especially ones that are covered by window treatment.  It's easy to break windows while moving furniture out.

Profile picture for kittenonkeys
If you have a lender-approved HUD-1, you are good to go.  You've received excellent advice about the final walk-thru.  Ask your agent to get copies of invoices for repairs that were made.  By doing so, you know whom to call if problems arise with those things later, and the seller response to home inspection stipulates that you get copies of these invoices for walk-thru.  Closing is just signing all the paperwork (Act of Sale, HUD-1, and your mortgage package).  Once complete and your lender wires funds, you get keys to the house.

Congratulations! 

The good news is.......the sellers are moving OUT, and you're moving IN! So......if you don't all get along.....that's  fine, it's not the end of the world.

Did you remember to call the utility companies and have billing changed  so that it continues, without any break,  in your name? The sellers (at least in my area) are responsible for calling to order their final utility readings and give their forwarding address.

What else should you expect??
You can  expect to feel excited AND nervous, all at the same time....maybe even overwhelmed.
Those are all normal emotions.
You may also experience something referred to as "buyer's remorse".

I did a blog just on that topic, buyer's remorse,  which is very common......so if that kicks in, don't worry - it will pass.

All the very best!
Get ready to pop a bottle of champagne..........or........maybe just ginger ale if you want to keep the cost down now that you're a homeowner!

ha :)

I am sorry to hear about your situation with the sellers but, this can happen and you need not worry about them. This is your big day and if you have a closing date and time that means all the stars have aligned and you are good to go. Just go sign the paperwork, grab your keys, and celebrate!

Congratulations on your new home!!!!
Brian

Congratulations.   I'm sorry you have had issues with the sellers.  

The final walk through is to confirm that the house is in the condition it was when you made an offer, with everything repaired that you had agreements to be repaired.   Make sure you take a check list with you if you've had some repair agreements.    Check to make sure fixed items (door knobs, mirrors, lights) are still there.

Review the HUD statement very very carefully.  Do NOT depend on your agent to do all the proofing.   I discovered on our last closing that they'd forgotten to credit us with the 5% earnest money so were suggesting our closing check should be much bigger than we'd estimated.    I instantly noticed the discrepancy, and quickly discovered the reason.   But, I'm very OCD related to numbers.

Then, breath deeply and enjoy your new home.   I hope you unpack more quickly than we did.