Cloverdale Neighborhood in Garner, NC

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could tell me about Cloverdale in Garner, NC. I am very interested in a house in that area, but my realtor just "strongly suggested that we reconsider living in cloverdale." However, judging from the low crime stats, and from the way it looks on google earth, it seems like a pretty nice place to me. What am I missing? Why is it an unsavory neighborhood?
  • July 25 2013 - Garner
  • 0

As agents we are not allowed to suggest against neigborhoods.  It is RE law and in the code of ethics.  We may suggest that resale may be tough or other opinions, but we are not allowed to suggest not living in an area.  If you like the neighborhood and feel good about the purchase, after doing all your research of course, you should go for it.

Since you are not allowed to suggest against neighborhoods, can you just describe the neighborhood in a way that a person from out-of-state may not be able to infer from statistics?

It is also called "Steering" or "Block Busting".  Federal Housing laws takes this very serious.  Realtors can not guide a buyer towards or away for any area.  I suggest you drive through the neighborhood and directly speak to the neighbors and ask your questions about the area with those living there.  You'll get your best answers.

It's true. Agents hands are tied under the law, but regular folks can tell you their opinion with impunity. I would post on a community forum like city-data in SC. Ask the locals what they think of it. They can be honest and share their opinions. 

Also check stats by zip code for free and reduced lunch, income, race, education level and the value of houses over time. Zillow will have some of that available and sites like city-data or trulia will also have information.

Only you can decide where to live, but get information and walk the neighborhood to get your own feel on whether it feels like home.

Profile picture for SaraOlson0
I live in Cloverdale.  Sorry I did not see this question in July.  Cloverdale is a nice place to live.  It is quiet, super close to downtown Raleigh, established trees and lots.  I regret that you were informed otherwise.  

Let me know if you have moved in or have any other questions.

As the other Brokers who responded mentioned it is against Federal Housing law to provide clients with the real estate advice that you received. When looking for properties it may be a good idea to find an agent that specializes in the area you are interested in. There are quite a few Brokers and Firms that specialize in real estate in the Garner area. When an agent is active in a community, town, or city, they can often provide insight into what may be up & coming. Local Realtors can also be a great resource for becoming acclomated to the areas they specialize they in.

Profile picture for chelsea plummer
I live in Cloverdale too-- it's too bad the agent recommended against it-- Cloverdale is a great place to live! It's quiet, close to everything and we have big wooded lots.