Profile picture for ChrisMeunier

Complete pest report omitted from disclosure package--who's fault?

I purchased my home 9 months ago in the bay area of California and have discovered that there is an active beetle infestation in the house unfortunately. Looking back, I now realize that the complete termite report was not provided in my disclosure package--instead, the first page of the report was included (which shows the company name and what type of termites they found) as well as a certificate for drywood fumigation being done (they should have done beetle fumigation instead but that's another story). I did an as-is offer. The rest of the report documented several repairs needed, which I did not see when I made the offer.
I am concerned that I negotiated for the home on incomplete information--I did not see the full report, which called out significant beetle damage. If I had seen that, my offer would have been different to account for the repair costs (in the 1000s of dollars). Am I out of luck since it was an as-is offer? Or is the seller responsible after close of escrow if they failed to provide complete and accurate disclosure documents?

November 06 2013 - Redwood City

Unfortunately, as-is usually means even if you find problems---the seller is not going to fix them.