Confused again, my buying agent just told me we CANNOT look at a home that is listed for sale?

Hmmm,I just spoke with my agent briefly, we are looking to buy a home.  We also have a home to sell............She said that we cant look at the house that is listed for sale......Did I understand her that the owners dont want buyers that own a home to look at their home for sale??  She has to take another call, and now I am at a loss for words, because this is the first home we even picked to look at.....as usual confused :)  Help!
  • July 18 2012 - US
  • 0

I just saw this question. I have some answers that may or may help your situation.

First of all, and I may be missing something, but did you ask her why she won't show you this house? From your post, I'm assuming that you didn't get a chance to ask her before she had to take another call. If the latter is the case, she was rude to take another call when she already was talking to you. Putting you on hold is one thing, but to cut the conversation short leaving you hanging is another. Bad form.

Second, did you sign a buyer/broker agreement? If so and you're unhappy with her, go talk to her broker about getting out of the agreement. If you didn't sign a buyer/broker agreement, you are free to work with and buy a home with any agent you like.

Third, unless you've agreed to only see homes she'll show you, why don't you just go to the next open house without her?

Regardless of if the seller won't accept any offers with a release clause, meaning that the buyer has to sell something before being able to complete the sale, your agent should show you this house then sit down again, and explain why she is hesitated you showing you the home, what you can do to get around that issue (whether that means that you sell first then buy or if financially possible, buy first, then sell).

Fourth - if she's truly too busy or scattered brained, find another agent. If you know anyone that bought within the last year, ask them if they were happy with their agent and the process. If so, then contact that agent. Contact several. Most good agents get referrals because although there are a lot of agents out there, there is only a small percentage that are really good at what they do -  take care of their clients, listen and close deals where everyone is happy.

I hope since your post is a couple of years ago that you had success by now. Hopefully your experience and the advice here will help others avoid the frustration you have gone through. 

If your agent has spent quite a bit of time trying to help you, why not give them the benefit of the doubt.  Not all....but most people are trying to do a good job.  Sometimes clearing the air with good communciation - not blame....really is helpful.  It would be a kind thing to do.

What a bother to have spent two hours with the agent and she doesn't know the basics.   Perhaps it is time to start interviewing other agents who remember what you've told them as well as have some time for you. 

Wetdog,

I competely agree.

That is why we sat down with this agent for nearly 2 hours a few days ago and I believe we covered alot of territory or so I thought, she is always saying how busy she is and apologize for forgetting.........but it seems most agents I come across are like that here........

I have to tell you Ryan and Heartland homes are looking better and better because they have taken so much time with us, I dont like siding houses, but then again, I know you must give up some things on your wish list, I guess another wish to give up is a reliable agent.....

Thanks everyone :)

Before calling your buyer's agent about homes you see listed for sale, spend some time getting to know your buyer's agent and letting him/her get to know you.    The agent should be able to see your pre-approval letter, know if you have to sell your home before qualified, know your personal price target and many other aspects related to your purchasing process.     Unless your agent knows these things, they may consider it a waste of their time (and rude to sellers) to take you out looking at homes.

If houses are selling within a reasonable time frame in your area, sellers will be less than happy to have unqualified buyers visiting so may have put some phrases in the home description. 

I also think it is strange that I cannot LOOK at it also, how am I ever suposed to know what kind of house I want.........this is my first experience with trying to move, first I tried an independant contractor and trying to find land and guestimate your mortgage is risky.................If I find land in my price range, sure enough it needs $20,000 worth of work done to it.......and now I wish to look at existing homes and my new agent tells me NO on the first home I wish to look at........I dont recall it being this difficult to purchase a home in just the beginning stages......

Of course that makes sense.........but I suposed my agent misunderstood me and I said I had a house to sell, but couldnt buy on first then sell this one...........because it sounds if I had to sell my home first then I should just do that and look for a home afterwards.........thanks for the info...

It may very well be that you can't write an offer if it is contingent on selling your home, but I think it strange that you can't LOOK at it. You really need to be looking at homes before your home sells, just so you know if you can get what you want.

Of course a seller CAN say "only show to qualified, non-contingent buyers" and sometimes they do just that.

Some homeowners, including practically every home that is owned by a bank (foreclosure) won't accept a purchase agreement with the contingency that the seller has to first sell their own home. There may be a notation in the agents remarks on MLS which is not visible on the public side which says no contingencies.