Profile picture for lali0020

Convert Bathroom and Bedroom into Master Suite

In the past the lower level was converted to turn 2 small bedrooms and a small bath into a large bedroom, large closet and large bathroom.  Currently the bath is accessible from the hallway only.  I was wondering if it would be worth either adding an opening from in the closer to the bathroom or closing off the hallway entrance and having the only entrance be through the closet.  The bedroom is 12.5'x12.5' and the closet is 7.5'x11.5' and the bathroom is about 10'x11' including a large shower.  What I'm trying to determine is whether this would be viewed as a great improvement by making it a master suite or a waste of time? 

January 09 2012 - Minneapolis

Sorry I misunderstood the project initially. I had actually considered doing something like that in my house, but tabled it until the kids are older. I think that it could work as long as your don't have any other bedrooms or major living areas that rely on that hallway bathroom on that level.

Some plans have an office bedroom and bathroom downstairs and I have seen the closet pass through bathroom done in those. They turn out well and people seem to like them. They only seem to object if there is another bedroom that needs to use that bathroom.

I would cost it out and talk to a couple of local agents about trends in your area. They will be able to give you an idea of what you might get back when you go to sell. Master retreats with dedicated bathrooms are not going anywhere so I suspect as long as the addition is not too expensive and your neighborhood supports it, you would probably see 60-70% of your money again. You might check out this site here for typical returns for similar projects.

Profile picture for lali0020
To be clear, the house I have lived in for 4 years was already configured with the bedrooms converted into a large bedroom, closet and large bathroom.  All I was wondering is if it would be seen as beneficial to have the bathroom in the lower level only accessible by the larger bedroom making it act as a master suite as this isn't possible on the upper level of the split.  The work that would need to be done is closing off the hallway door and putting a door through an area of the closet that isn't used by anything but hampers currently.  I'm not looking to make a change that would return immediately as I will be living in the house for some time to come.  However what I'm looking to do are projects that I will enjoy having in my house but I don't want to do any projects that will decrease value or not be beneficial in the future when selling the house.  I find it hard to believe that if I were to replace old carpet with hardwood floors, that it wouldn't be seen as an improve in the future buyers eyes (I'm talking 2-5 years) vs just leaving the old carpet.  All I was curious was in how valued having a bathroom sealed off to a bedroom was compared to having it available to the hallway.

I would not put that kind of money into the project since you are unlikely to see it back when you sell. Also, in some areas giving up a bedroom for the one larger bedroom/bath project may cost you money on an appraisal. I would be more inclined to do a closet organizer and a light facelift of your existing bathroom instead.

It sounds to me that putting in a MBR in the LL would decrease the value of your house.

Additionally, don't waste your money into the house (including floors, appliances, bathrooms) unless they break, or are so unappealing that they need to be replaced. If you were to replace the kitchen countertop with black granite, the buyers would want white granite; if you put down a tiled floor, the buyers would want wood. I think you get the drift. I wouldn't recommend putting any money into insulations, windows, furnances or sealing the house. These are tend to be expensive, and a buyer's decision is (almost) never based upon if it has a new furnace or not. If there is some area that needs work or replacement - give the buyers a credit towards it. Don't assume that your taste will be their taste.

Profile picture for K.K. Yan
Initial thought is that it is not a GREAT improvement investment. Owner should put money on kitchen and bath, flooring, etc. How may buyer is looking for master suite in LL? Not to mention that you may make LL too nice for the rest of the house. If you are looking for improvement as an investment, would you consider energy efficiency improvement? Like sealing your home well. Almost 30% energy lost are due to cold air leaked to the house. Or buying high efficiency furnace. Study says it may save you $350 yearly with 14% ROI first year.

Profile picture for lali0020
In the closet there is a section that currently has an ironing board built into the wall.  I would remove that and there would be enough room for a pocket door to be added here so you wouldn't be walking through any clothes. But from inside the room you wouldn't see the inside the bathroom as you'd have to walk through the opening into the closet and take a right to go through the pocket door into the bath.

It appears that you will be using part of your closet to enter the bathroom.  Do you mean that, with the pocket door addition, you will walk through hanging clothes to enter the bathroom?  Or, are you eleminating the only closet to have a smooth transition between the bedroom and the bath?  In either case, I don't believe the changes would improve the value of your home.

Yes, typically larger than typical master bedrooms always go with private bathrooms. Its no sin if you dont but most do.

Profile picture for lali0020
It is a split level with a half grade basement so the Master being down there has plenty of light including a full size window in the closet.  What I'm really thinking of doing is closing off the door in the hallway and adding a pocket door in the closet.  Not sure how much that would cost but the real question is how much appeal/value is there in turning a Master Bedroom into a Master Suite by combining all the rooms.  This seems to be a benefit that people look for when buying a home but I don't know if combining them really adds much as you can walk out the door of the room and right into the bath to the left.

If the 'lower level' is what would be considered the basement, I don't think it would bring additional value to make the changes as most buyers probably wouldn't want a master bedroom in the basement.

If you're talking about a split level where the lower level is more exposed to the outside, that might make a difference. But I would still be hesitant to spend a ton of money on any such changes.

Without knowing the configuration of the rest of the house, the lower level is still "the lower level." If you are considering doing this in order to make the house more attractive to potential buyers, I would suggest not doing it unless you are handy and would like to take on this project yourself. The buyer for your home may want to make it something else than a bedroom (media room, play room, etc.) If you are considering this to also enjoy having and using a lower-level MBR, then by all means do it, but remember you may not get your investment back on this.