Profile picture for purplesushi

Converting a bedroom next to master bedroom into a walk-in closet

We are now empty nesters in a 1700 sq ft 4 bedroom home.  As such, the bedrooms, especially the master bedroom, are not that big.  The "closet" that was in our master was only 5 1/2 feet wide - hardly enough room for my husband's clothes, let alone mine!  When our oldest moved out, we moved the wall between our bedroom and hers back 6 feet, which essentially added 5 feet of space to our bedroom, and the remaning 6 feet x 10 feet of her old room was converted into a walk-in closet for our room.  The "old" closet in the bathroom/dressing area was removed completely, and we are enlarging our bathroom to include a 5' shower (to replace the 32"x32" box that's in there now).  I know you aren't "supposed to" remove bedrooms, but in our case the layout just wasn't working for us.  I should mention our area suffered tremendously from the housing crash, and we have been underwater for 5 years - and are still under by over 100k (when we used to have nearly 350k in equity) so we have no plans of moving anytime soon, but when we do sell in the future, the rooms will not be reconverted to where they were.  At any rate - my question is, will this conversion in our case actually help us? If not, how much did it hurt?  

October 21 2013 - Antioch

Whenever you are contemplating a renovation or change to your home that will change its footprint, I strongly recommend contacting your agent for input. Conducting a current market analysis on an annual basis is a key strategy for being a savvy home owner and will give you the information you need to make the best decision for your situation. I believe that home owners should have a real estate agent as much as a financial advisor or accountant to remain in the know about your homes value. I offer my clients an annual review (CMA) as a courtesy and make it my goal that my client base as educated as possible about their market. I would suggest you find a local agent willing to help you now. The right agent will understand the value of a long-term relationship with you.

Going from a 4 bedroom down to the 3 isn't that big of a deal, there
are a lot of 3 bedrooms on the market everywhere, and I don't think
that keeping the extra 4 one is that important as much as you feeling
good about the space you in.

If you're saying that the house isn't working for you any more then you
have to fix that so you can enjoy your home , to me that's the whole
point (as well as others I know) of home ownership.
You being the homeowner have the right and don't need any ones permission to put your stamp on your home.

I got a call a few months ago from a couple whom after years have
done things and lived a certain way because of just what you are doing
now ( the fear of renovating because of the market) He said that they had
thought about selling, moving for years and had done nothing to renovate
for their family. He said we sit down one night and talked and we discovered that we love where we live, we love our community our
friends...we decided that we were where we wanted to be all these years
and it just seemed like a great weight was lifted off us and they decided
that they were doing to not only stay but renovate and do the things
they wanted to do...this was finally going to be home.

Making your house work for you and your family is important, the way
that you feel as you drive up the drive way, walk in the door, the way
the house fuctions for you and your wife...do your renovation.

John Lennon once said
'Life is what happens while we're making other plans'.
-Joseph-

Especially since you are in it for the long haul, I would think about it in terms of how much better it will be for you. If at some point you decide to move, it shouldn't be hard to reconvert that space if it would be advantageous.

It depends on your market, but in many places, a 3 bedroom homes are quite popular.  Personally, one of the most important things in a home is to be able to live comfortably.  And since you intend to stay in that home for a while, it would be a good idea to make the home work for you.

It sounds as though you have "updated" the functionality of the house. In today's market, a large master bedrooms with large closets and nice master bath will add to the salability of the home. a 4 bedroom home in 1700 square feet will seem small to many people , while a 1700 square foot home with 3 bedrooms will feel larger. In my area (Washington State) I think that your renovation would add value to the home. I suggest that you check with a local realtor and ask their opinion.