Profile picture for TheGrey

Converting one car garage to two

I've been looking at some homes that have a one car detached garage, but I would really like a two car garage.

Does anyone have an idea how much it would cost to convert a one car garage to a two car garage?

Thanks.

• February 10 2008 - US
  • 1

Profile picture for . . .

Depends on many many factors;  When I bought, my garage would only hold one car due to a wall that was in the way, and the door being wide enough for 1½ cars.  I called various contractors for quotes and it was coming about $5k.  Then I called a "house mover" since I expected they would have jack equipment to remove the weight from the wall I wanted removed to install a header.  The did the work for about $1200.  No jacks used; just kicked some 2x4's under the roof rafters, then took out their chain saws and started cutting...  I left; I wasn't about to hang around with them cutting the support around them.

But my garage was already technically big enough for 2 or more cars as it had been added to about 3 times.

For a typical one car garage, due to structual issues for supporting the roof... you can esentually figure that you will either build a second single car garage ajacent, or you will tear down the entire garage, pour a larger concrete slab, and then build a new two car garage.  If you figure about $40 per sq ft, at 20 x 20, that would be $16,000.  Add about $20 per sqft for the demolition, hauling, dumping charges.  Thus about $20,000.  Add taxes and permits...  Then did you want some cabinets, electric door, other amenities?  Maybe some storage space for tools?  Maybe a workbench or workshop?  Maybe some windows?  Maybe some electrical outlets?  Maybe an electrical sub-panel? You could easily be up to $50,000 or more by now.