Crazy Question... but when is it safe to start packing?

We are at, what I think is at the end of the home buying process. We're waiting for the title report so we can get the clear to close and schedule an appointment with the attorney, but since we kind of got there pretty early (our estimated closing date isn't for 2-3 weeks or so) I'm not sure when a good time to start packing our current home is. Our loan officer went on vacation for a week, so that kind of slowed some stuff up because the underwriter ONLY speaks to her, although she's sent me an email to say that if we had any questions we're free to contact her directly when we received the conditional approval and had questions, she never responded to our questions. We only found out we met the conditions fine after our loan officer came back from vacation and she told us...

I suspect our loan officer has more than us for clients and I don't want to bug her, but we want to be able to start getting out of here the minute we get keys but I've heard that funky stuff can happen right until closing. Can I get some advice from someone who has been there and done that?
  • October 04 2013 - US
  • 0

If this closing doesn't go through, will you still be moving? If so, start packing now. I have moved MANY times (my husband is a govt. employee also). I always think I will get it all done but things can happen. Having major packing to do just before the closing is stressful. This is one part of the move that you can control, so do it and you will be less frustrated when you close. 

Enjoy your new home!

Profile picture for neilbrooks
Not a crazy question.........

I'd wait till the appraisal comes back good, and you've agreed to repairs on your new home......

Your Lender will be able to tell you when you have Final Loan Approval without conditions.

Enjoy your new casa!

It depends on you.    Packing always takes far more time than most people predict.   So, there is no reason not to start packing today.    Do you need your summer clothes?   Do you need 10 towels?   How about the Christmas dishes and ornaments?

Pack until you have about as much as you take when you go off on a two or three week vacation, and you'll be all set without being overwhelmed with pressure at the last moment.

While things can happen right before closing, they can usually be resolved unless it is very serious.

If you have 10 towels - pack away 8.  Pack up the dishes and use paper plates.  pack up clothes except what you need for the next few weeks. Get a head start on packing the smalls. 

Make sure you label your boxes well in the event you need something quickly.

I would start packing non-essentials now.  Things you can live without, and then stick those boxes in your garage (if you have one).  

I can only say that based on my career, you cannot celebrate a closing until it records.  I can't tell you how many problems we have faced with underwriters just to clear conditions.  Plus sometimes there are errors that anyone involved on that side of the process has made (ie Escrow, Loan officer, etc) that have to be corrected.  So much goes on behind the scenes that it is kind-of crazy.

Anyway, if you can satisfy all of the conditions, you will more than likely close sooner than later.  Congratulations!

Best wishes from So-Cal and good luck

As a Realtor I always stay in touch with the loan officer to keep things moving along. There are times that things are not in our control, like the government shut down. But it sounds like your loan is just waiting for clear to close and depending on the loan program and the lender and closing department it should be soon. I would ask your loan officer if all conditions are met and how long from clear to close until closing. Some times it can take 7-10 days from clear to close until closing depending upon. Be a pest with your loan officer. Sometimes they forget about the personal side of the loan.  Good luck!

Thank you so much for your response.

We haven't been given the clear to close. We're still waiting on the title report from the attorney. Our loan officer said that she asked the attorney to rush the paperwork the day she came back and got word from the underwriter that we had met the conditions to her satisfaction. I guess they line them up in date order and since we were still a few weeks out, they hadn't worked on it yet. They told her then (last week) that they would rush the information.

When our loan officer went on vacation, she said she would be available via email, but honestly? I think that everyone should have an uninterrupted vacation, so when I emailed her I said that it would not be necessary for her to respond or try and get someone else to respond in her stead because I knew she was spending time with family and I also had a very high pressure job before my husband forced me to retire at the ripe old age of 37...LOL I can be a pain when I want to, but I also like people to enjoy some personal time.

Yesterday she called rather exasperated at the underwriter for still not getting the VOE when she gave her the information 2 weeks ago (now my husband is caught up in this government shut down). Luckily, I was able to get it for her, so we're back to a holding pattern, but when I hung up with her yesterday, she was physically walking it to the underwriter. However, you saying that every day is a business day. 

Thank you

I always share w/ my clients ~one week before close of escrow. Also, you may want friends & relatives to come into your home and "mark" what they would like, but do not give to them until escrow closes. Too many times I have seen an escrow fall out, even in an all cash transaction. Good luck!

Profile picture for Neeraj Jassal
By all means, bug your loan officer, her processor or their superior.  Everyone deserves a vacation but your transaction should not not suffer as a result.  You are being too polite.

The calendar for a real estate transaction has no weekends or holidays - every day counts as a business day.  If your loan officer knew she was going away, she should have provided you with a contact that you could direct questions or concerns to.

That said, if you have officially been given a "clear to close" from the lender, you should be in good shape.  It essentially means that your loan has completed underwriting and only needs to be funded.  You can start packing.

Good luck (and pre-congrats)!