Profile picture for ldierkes

Creative marketing ideas

I'm always looking for creative ways to market both my listings and myself. What's the most creative/unusual/response provoking ideas you've used?
  • July 14 2007 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for frank_11
How about you share your current marketing ideas/techniques so we can get a feel for what may be creative/unusual to you.... :-)

-Frankie

Profile picture for ldierkes
I make my own virtual tours (using Windows Movie Maker) ... Then I put them on DVD's with a picture of the house. The DVD says, "Love the house? Take the Virtual Tour with you!" I leave a few copies of the DVD in the house with the listing/brochure, etc.

Why not make a video about you, your servivces, and upload it to YouTube.com, or MySpace?

Kenneth, Tallahassee

Profile picture for mullenjen
Brand your listings! Competition is tough. There are a ton of listings out there. Help people remember your home. How about using "Red Hots" (the candy) with an attached note stating that the property is "Red Hot."

Realtor.com listing and showcase properties now have up to 25 photos, you can add a visualtour and within the past few weeks, you can now add video.

Its a great tool in marketing and its high impact.

I love the "Red Hot" idea, never thought of that one!
YouTube & Myspace, in my personal opinion are geared more towards the younger crowd that cant afford to buy a home personally I have never heard of an adult talking about there "MySpace" but thats my opinion. Love the DVD idea also. Competition is tough out there! It seems that most people looking to buy always go to Realtor.com so I would make sure that you are deffinetly in the realtor.com showcase.

I am hearing a lot lately about blogging. If you have your own website, maybe you can start a real estate blog.

Profile picture for ldierkes
For anyone who's uploaded videos to realtor.com ... The only Windows Media format it supports is .wmp, NOT .wmv. But if you have .wmv, there is a program called WinAVI converter that will convert your .wmv files to .mpg (which is also a format supported by realtor.com).

Just thought I'd throw that out for anyone who might have run across the same question. (Because if you call realtor.com tech support, the answer is "we haven't been trained on that.")

Listing Business Card

Put a brochure box at each listing and feature that main listing on one side. Then on the other side put 6 different homes you have listed that are not in direct competition of that home. Do this for every listing and you will be exposing not only mulitple listings to one flier taker but that you are a competitive agent. The benefit to that home is that their home is on the back side of other fliers all around town.

Gee I must be boring because all I do is make flyers and mail post cards. I love the idea of the red hots. and the CD to hand out..
I kind of agree about the my space and you tube.. it is for the younger crowd but.. you know.. alot of baby boomers are use the internet as well, my teen is so suprised that I use IM ... to talk to my friends..
oh and I do have a blog..on my web site and she nearly died laughing when she found that one out too.
great ideas.....

Thanks for the great tip Lorraine - I just gave it some more exposure on geekestate blog -- http://www.geekestateblog.com/quick-tip-converting-wmv-to-wmp-necessary-to-upload-a-video-to-realtorcom/

There is a program called service for life, that you can find on the internet. It's a great news letter you can send out monthy or when ever you like. I have had customers comment about it at the grocery store and had people calling for advice. You can have them printed and sent through there printing affiliate. Your mail list should consist of all your friends, family and past clients. Most typically around 80% of listings are gained by referals. I have done well strickly from referals.

Hi, this is Dustin from Move...

I just checked in with our technology team and can confidently say that you can upload *.wmv files directly to REALTOR.com (No need for any tools to convert it to a *.wmp). As a matter of fact, the upload tool supports WMV versions 7, 8, 9, 10.

I plan on contacting Lorraine directly to find out why her file didn't upload, but my guess is that it has something to do with the codac she originally used to encode the WMV file. Thanks for the interest everyone!

Profile picture for ldierkes
Thanks, Dustin ... realtor.com now CAN accommodate .wmv files. I just uploaded my virtual tour in .wmv format with no problem. Since this feature is in beta testing, I'm glad they responded and now allow that format. Thanks for the info!

Profile picture for thartist
Perhaps what you should do, just an idea, is see who exactly your audience is, and then target that group. My company offers a tool online, which can be taken for free. What our profile does is it identifies an individual's generation based on his/her traits and tendencies rather than by age. Knowing this information will allow you to market to your strongpoints rather than your weak ones.

I.E...Don't start a blog and advertise that to a bunch of boomers. Just a thought.

www.generationalprofiles.com

Profile picture for MLBroadcast
Dustin,
What are the charges to an agent to upload a video to a listing to Realtor.Com and what are ALL of the accepted formats for doing so?

Idierkes

We have a program called the wise agent which is provided to us for free through the Title Company we use. Every month is a new letter which you can customize. There are so many forms to use. I love the tax forms. check it out I think you'd like it.
Bonnie

Profile picture for ldierkes
Bonnie .... thanks for the info. I looked at that. I use Top Producer which does everything that Wise Agent does PLUS does my listing presentations (and ties into MLS to get the comps). AND I use Top Producer for my website as well.

"MLPodcast" ... Realtor.com has an add-on to enhance your listings. You can upload additional photos, write additional description, upload videos, add a scrolling marquee to the listing, etc. I believe the cost is based on your sales.

Profile picture for jdddg
Magnets on EVERY business card. People throw away cardboard. They don't throw away a useful magnet. Gulf coast magnets is pretty cheap. I got mine for 43 dollars including shipping.

I am going to take pumpkins door to door in october. I am then going to find something to take around for christmas. I am thinking candy canes. etc...

Help me out with some more ideas.

During the holidays I hand deliver different stuff. Easter I filled plastic eggs with candy & free CMA slips + other free stuff- 4th of July I did safe & Sane sparklers, I've done pens + notepads, cooking tips in the summer-Hot choc. for christmas w/candy canes,at hollowween I bought dollar flashlights and gave them to the kids with safty tips to the parents. I love the dollar store !

VISUAL TOUR ON BUSINESS CARD CDS: I hope that I've gotten better as a photographer tha t can do photo-stitching using VisualTour. After that, I copy the tour on business card-sized CDs which I provide to the seller, other agents and other people who come through my open house.

I ask "Paper or plastic" (paper for the regular color flyers, or plastic for the CD. I get such positive reaction when they get the business card CD. And when I send personal notes as follow ups to potential clients, I enclose a copy of the business card-CD containing the visual tour of the property they saw or where I met them. All my personal contact info is on that business card CD.

YARD SIGNS: jazz up your open house sign. In a sea of open house signs it really is important to make yours stand out. Some folks put balloons -- I put colorful ribbons and streamers. Thankfully, not everyone does it -- so mine really are much more visible. Then I plant colorful flags in front of the property that I am holding open. It gives a festive flavor that draws people in.

Is Visual Tour difficult to use? I like the idea of the business card-sized CD's. On the flags in the front yard; what kind of flags - as in height?

Nicolette,

There are a lot of visual/virtual tour services. I just happen to like Visualtour.com because I can make my own tours, and then copy it on the CD, link it to realtor.com and the MLS. I found it easy to use. Go to their website and see if this is something you'd like to do. There is a monthly charge. It's a fixed fee, and to me it's been well worth it because of the number of listings and tours I've had to do and maintain a bit longer when the market slowed down.

AS for the flags -- I use 4ft high flags on thin poles that I stick to the ground. I've lined them up along a walkway leading to the front door.

To the agents who think myspace isn't worth it.
I have a myspace page

[deleted by Zillow modreator.]

It is a great way to meet new, younger buyers. I blog there, and I also can put current market conditions. Plus it is free. All of my friends are on myspace and we are in our late 20s and early 30s and yes that group is buying houses.

Also I always put financing options on the back of all my listing flyers. If you have a mortgage person you work with, get them to run the numbers of FHA, VA, and conventional loans. Then print it on the back of the flyer with the mortgage person's name and contact info. It just shows that you are able to provide more service than other Realtors.

Also- if you are in an area with a sports team- high school, college, or pro, you can get great magnetic schedules from magnetsusa.com. I got 100 of them for $40.00 and it had five different college football schedules, I picked teams that are popular in my area. They have a space where you put your business card on it. My clients loved them. I plan to do NASCAR and NCAA basketball.

Well. I love all the ideas that you have gotten already.. I have started to use some on line listings sites such as www.postlets.com. Zillow and craigs list.
for my listings for my self, I have a my own web site now and the new craze is blogging.. yes blogging. it really is helpful my blog is with www.activerain.com and I have it linked to my web site [deleted by Zillow moderator] will post tips and advice, marketing info, stats.. area info.. I let my sellers and buyers know that so t keep checking my site for infor and tips.. I got to tell you, I have had some calls too..
Good Luck...

You can also do t-shirts with a photo of a house on one side and price, etc.
on the other and name of your company with logo. Of course you can only
wear one t-shirt at a time or you can give them to friends/family to wear
on the weekends.

Using Publisher or Word, Avery Address labels, and cheap folders, I create "Buyer Information Packets" to hand out at open houses. I make labels that have my info on them and stick them on the front and inside pockets. I provide an info sheet of the listing, local important numbers, a vendor list,...useful buyer info and a handy folder with all my information that they can store all the days flyers.

I will start to use networking site like myspace.com and facebook.com

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3