Credit score 617 and it 650 for FHA loan

I've been saving and hoping to buys house in July, I want my credit score to be 650ish. Since graduation college a year ago I managed to get my student loan under 18k. I have one credit card with Bank of America, I'm trying to get it under 50% and a best buy which is already under half. My question is, I'm looking at a house (short sell) for 169k I've already saved 7k and if I stay on budget ill have 10-12k by the end of July saved. It's a two family house and I really want this house. Ps. My income right now is 2700/month pretax. Is this doable or am I fool to want to buy a house with the little I have?
  • March 15 2013 - Providence
  • 0

Your best bet would be to talk to a loan officer and have him/her go over their thoughts, Many loan companies may give you tips to drive the score up faster, Also with a multi family they "add" the rental income to your income which usually makes people qualify for more $$ then they would for a single family..Find a mortgage broker you trust and they will be able to review your credit with you and offer their advice

Good luck!!

Zillow offers the ability to research many loan officers part of this great network!  If you scroll through the Find a Pro section, you can view the profiles of MANY loan officers and see who might be a good fit.  Otherwise I might also suggest browse the profiles of agents specializing in the area you are looking to be in, they can also give you names & numbers of many loan officers that can help you that they trust!  I hope this helps!
Have a fantsatic evening!

Erin DIaz, Broker - Owner
Beaches & Backroads Realty

It's definitely a great question and one you should take directly to a local lender nearby where you live.  They will take all of your pertinent info and within hours, be able to tell you if it's possible or not.  Good luck! :) Janice

Your income is too low to afford a house worth $169K with only a down payment of 6%. Your monthly payment would roughly be $1,000, which is about half of your net income. A lender won't let you qualify for a home woth $169,000.
I would save up until you can put 20% down or go with a home in a smaller price range. Search online for a Home Affordability Calculator for a better idea of what you can afford, or better yet contact a local lender and he/she can tell you everything you need to know in a 10 minute phone conversation. Good luck.