Profile picture for gwillcoxon

Crime in Bushrod

I'm considering buying a house in Bushrod, and I was wondering what the community here thought about the crime trends in the area.  The SF Chronicle from 2007/2006 suggests that  quality of life has improved dramatically, with fewer young men roaming the streets with nothing to do during the day.  Have these trends held up?  Is Bushrod Park still doing better?  I'm worried my girlfriend won't want to walk around by herself.  Is it safe for a woman to walk around at night?

• May 05 2008 - Bushrod
  • 0

Profile picture for aaronsheddrick
My wife and I moved into the neighborhood in 06'

Things have been improving steadily, and while there is some crime most of it is non-violent. I would recommend subscribing to the Oakland Police Departments email crime blotter to get a better idea of crime activity in area. Most of the crime in our area (61st and Shattuck right next to the park) is vehicle burglary. There is some drug activity in the evenings but they keep to themselves and don't want to attract attention. I don't worry about my wife or son at night in our neighborhood because we know alot of our neighbors and they are all really good people. Plus the streets are well lite. I would also recommend driving/walking around the neighborhood at night to get a feel for the area.
There has also been more of a neighborhood commitment to reducing crime in the area with monthly meetings with the police dept etc.

Property values in the are have gone down considerable and the forclosed propertys have gotten snatched up. There are some amazing deals to be had! I wish we waited till now to buy. Hope this helps!

Profile picture for pcubedproperties
You can't go wrong purchasing in this neighborhood. I worked in real estate strategy for 5 years and spent a lot of time looking at trends and such from Albany to Lake Merritt. If you are looking to get into a neighborhood that will provide an excellent return on your investment, while providing a great environment to live, THIS is the neighborhood.

I'm also the local Rep for our Neighborhood Crime Policing Council, so I've attended the monthly meetings for the four years that I've lived here. We discuss all the beats from Rockridge to West Oakland and our PSO laments that things are so slow on his beat (LOL). We are consistently considered a low crime neighborhood when compared to all North Oakland and South Berkeley beats.  Our biggest worry are car break-ins, rather than violent crimes, so your girlfriend will be fine.

If she is a worrier, get a dog :) That is the best deterrent to crime.