Profile picture for georgesdomains

DTI when trading up houses

I would like to first buy a new house and then (after a month or so to move and clean it up) sell my old house. I think I have the down payment for the new house in order. The only issue I foresee is DTI. My current mortgage broker is telling me its an issue and I'm trying to decide if it will be for everyone or if I should shop around a bit more.
So current expenses are 3740/mo (mortgage + car payment + property tax)
current income is 17400/mo (employers will verify)
plenty  (hundreds of thousands) of reserves (though it's all in ira/401k)

Can someone out there tell me what the highest payment I could sign up for in a new house is. I get the feeling it might vary by lender so any explanation of the variance would be helpful too. Thanks

September 28 2013 - San Carlos

You should be able to qualify in the $3500-$3900 range. Of course dependent upon credit, etc. but this payment range would keep you debt ration below 45%

georgesdomains

to many variables to tell you what IS max loan .
call me  .

Omar Khamisa

It will depend on the program type (conventional, FHA, VA). You should be able to qualify for a new payment of $4,090 on the low end to $5,830 on the high end. I would be happy to take a closer look at this for you. Feel free to contact me through my profile if you wish to discuss further.

You haven't mentioned whether you've considered and rejected the idea of renting the old house. Using "departing home" guidelines, you could offset a large part of the debt on the old house, assuming you have 30% or more equity in that property, and buy more on the new home, without having to have had a previous history is an investor with rental property.

One Point of View:
Based on up to $625500 high balance conforming loan, with a 20% down payment and good credit scores, 50% could be the top qualifying debt to income ratio (dti).   With debts of $3740/month you are at about 21% dti as is. That leaves about 29%/$5046 residual.  The payment on a $625,500 loan at the going interest rate of 4.625% (conservative) is $3216 .Property taxes will be roughly $650/month. Insurance, $100/month. Total = $3966.
Total Bills with new and old house factored = $7706.  Debt to income ratio - estimate = 44% 
  In this example, for every $1000 the loan amount drops, the payment will go down $5.20.