Dangerous gas emissions in Edgehill subdivision in Cumming

I am considering buying a home in James Creek area in Cumming where Lennar and Ryland are building homes in Edgehill subdivision. Apparently this neighborhood used to be called Overlook at James Creek. While searching on the net I found the following article.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/potential-fix-for-forsyth-landfill-leaking-dangero/nQfQL/

Can anyone throw some light on it? Thanks.

March 22 2013 - Cumming

Profile picture for Jarvis Team
The location is amazingly convenient.

I agree with some of the others here.  Do your research to make sure that you know what you are getting into before you buy.  There's a chance your value could be affected but your health should be a bigger concern. 

That being said, once you buy, it's hard to predict how an area will change so you can't go somewhere else without a risk.  At least this risk is known.  (Although I would still avoid it). 

There's a lot of good links and resources here.  At the end of the day, if I need to read that much about a risk of buying, it's not worth it. 

January 06
I have almost signed a contract and the next day I found this. It was back in Aug-Sep when this community was open to sell lots. I was so excited and liked their model home (Ryland). Everything was just so good but due to landfill problem (Even though it could not be a problem for any of the future residents), I was not able to convince myself that I can buy this property and sleep worry free at night. Let's say you buy this today, sometime after few years you decide to put it up for sell for any reason - job change, moving out of state, etc. Buyer's will put a lot of weight on this issue before deciding, if they find out at that time. It's always better not to play with your health or take any risk - and that too when you are considering a major investment of your life. 

Buying a home is luring. Don't put your family or yourself at any risk. It's a biggest risk or mistake whatever you want to call it.

January 04
I live right around the corner from this Community and have talked a couple of times to the Ryland and the Lennar sales reps about this issue.  They both say that there used to be a landfill only where the ammendities are going to be built and that the entire landfill was removed.  I think they also have some paperwork from the EPA or the EPD stating that.  That communty is selling very fast now - if you are interested and want more informatino let me know and I will track it down.

I live nearby this neighborhood and know a little about the history.  The original developer had to stop building after just a few homes were built, as it was discovered that the some parts of the development had been used as a landfill a while back.  Unable to afford the costs of remediated the soil, this developer lost the land as it was foreclosed on by the bank.  The soil was then remediated by the bank.  For about two plus years or more, there were dump trucks and excavators digging all of the land fill out. There were mountains of soil at one point.  I stopped by one day and talked to a lady overseeing the remediation.  She said all the soil was being removed from the land fill and then was going to be replaced with clean soil.  The soil would be tested after that throughout the community to make sure it was clear of any toxins.

I hope this helps.  Good luck!

Profile picture for Dhantha
Any updates on the above issue? Did you buy a home in that area?
We're considering at the above said community with Lennar.
Please do shed some information you got on it.

Hello thanks for posting this we are also interested in the Edgebrook community however this subject matter concerned me. I did some research and found public records showing discussion on remediation. 

Did you find out any additional details or did anyone end up going under contract in this community? We are considering this community specifically for the schools for our son however there is hesitation because of these details. Any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

If you are interested in the public records I found online please let me know will share the PDF.

Houses built on old landfills may have a negative impact on buyer health long term especially if the site was not remediated well. Like many communities, Cummings is not interested in the long term they want development now to bring additional revenue.

I would not buy in that subdivision due to the fact that I was unable to find significant information on the necessary remediation/preparation before the site was built on.

It is called EDGEBROOK by Lennar . http://www.zerowasteamerica.org/BuyerBeware.htm

True that this subdivision is used as dumping site. Just be aware about the consequences of staying in the homes build on old landfills. Go to the lessons learnt section of the below link to get an idea about what you can expect when you buy home on old landfills. ( it's called trammel landfill) Here is the county copy for the landfill http://estatus.forsythco.com/application.aspx?App=CG110015&ID=178139 http://www.dep.state.fl.us/waste/quick_topics/publications/shw/solid_waste/USEOFOLDLFsINFL-totalPaper.pdf

I am also having the same doubts? Did you find anything more on this?

Correction - The subdivision name is not Edgehill, it is Edgebrook.