Profile picture for Lazy_666

DataSheet of US regions

I am  not sure if this is the best place to ask for this, but I couldn't find any better place, so here is my question:

I need a DataSheet or table that will have all US regions like: Regions (West, MidWest ...), States (AL,AK...), ZipCodes, Districts or something and further will the smalled unit.

I am searchign in google, but cant seem to find any good information.
  • September 15 2012 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Blue Nile
Link for getting the 40,000 Zip code regions from the U.S. Census website:
http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/searchresults.xhtml?refresh=t

Select "geography" in the left margin, then select 5-digit Zip code from the region type, then click on a State, then it will list the Zip Codes for that state.  Work your way down through the list of States.

Or just choose to add that to your area selections, then choose the data item(s) you want to know about, and download the files.

Obviously, 5 digits cannot give 40,000 regions, so you would need to select:
5 Digit ZCTA (Zip Code Tabulation Areas) instead.

The congressional districts are available there too.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
Here is a link to a map of Zillow's Zestimate coverage by county.  (The interactive map is near the bottom of the page).

I already referenced the list of counties; but here is a direct link:
http://www.zillow.com/static/xls/Zestimate_Accuracy_June_30_2012.xls

It also includes the list of States/Territories, and the list of Metropolitan Statistical Areas.

From the "local info" pages one can use this link to get the States list:
Home value index by state

If you click on a State you can choose counties, metros, or cities.

If you click on cities, and click on a city, you can get the list of 5-digit Zip codes for the city, or the list of neighborhoods.

If you want all the regions, your best bet is to go to census.gov

It is free because it is public information that the public paid for through their tax dollars.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I'm sure the 9 digit postal zip code database with geocoding is available from a government source for "free" somewhere.  I thought http://www.uspsoig.gov/, but I could not find it there either.

Downloading the shape files for the Zillow neighborhoods by State will give you all the major cities "for free".  So will clicking on each of the states on the zipatlas.com website.

And for each ZPID home details page one looks up, it gives the State, the county, the City, the 5 digit Zip code, and the Zillow "neighborhood" if available, so as one looks up properties, one would create the lists of regions that one was interested in.

Besides, there is no cost to download data from the Census.com website.  All the demographic data for every zip code, city, county, state, census tract, block group, etc. that one can want is available for downloading there.  And one can get as many lists of regions as one wants there as well.  It just takes a bit more time to learn the query format.

Profile picture for Lazy_666
I need the datasheet, so I can have my own database of properties and I can order them by zip-codes or something even more precize, so I can add additional information specific for the location, and not have to enter it separetly for each property I have in the DB.

Hope this clarifys it.

Thank's for all the answers! especially toPasadenan

This really helped me alot, too bad I can not bet this kind of data for free and need to pay for it.

in EU its provided for free to use for everyone. wonder what makes US make them privet and allow only private distribution.

Anyhows I'll keep looking for more information (think soon it will be all clear for me).

The problems that I have found is that there are same counties in different states, witch makes it difficult to identify the property by that.

For now probably the zip-code is the lowest lvl I can have, but they also have some that are in different counties and probably different states as well. It seems harder to do what I need, but probably I will be able to do it soon.

..for what purpose do you need the datasheet ? A little more info and we could help you........

Profile picture for Blue Nile
And how does that get a list of all the zipcodes?

Profile picture for AmyDreyer
Try www.usnaviguide.com

Easy to use and it lets you search zip codes for free.  It'll highlight the boundaries for the entire country.  Click the zips tab for specific zipcodes for an area.

Good luck.

Amy

Profile picture for Blue Nile
You might try zipatlas.com  and going state by state... but that won't give you the cities smaller than 50k people.  But it is a bit easier to use than the U.S. Census website.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I had forgotten... Zillow does let you download their "shape files" for approximately 7000 Zillow defined neighborhoods (for the larger cities) by State:

http://www.zillow.com/howto/api/neighborhood-boundaries.htm

But if you don't have a mapping program to interpret the shape files, they are a bit difficult to understand directly.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I guess we should also include in that list Phone number Area Code...  one can do a Google search for that and get some good lists.  Area Codes often overlap now though, and can also be broken up into non-contiguous regions.  In some areas, you can even break that down by phone prefix (first 3 digits of the number).

And for the postal Zip Codes, there is the 9-digit Zip, that often identifies individual block faces, or even individual apartment buildings.  Sometimes purchasing an electronic phone book, or an electronic address correction program is the best way to get the 9-digit zip code info.  The postal service 9-digit Zip code geocode database is public information, and may be able to be downloaded somewhere, but I haven't seen it other than in the electronic programs.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
Zillow uses a miriad of different region types:
1) States (and "U.S. Territories")
2) Metropolitan Statistical Areas
3) Counties
4) Cities
5) Zip Codes
6) Neighborhoods (defined by Zillow with the help of local city planning staff, but doesn't correspond to real neighborhood definitions).

You will have a bit of difficulty getting all of these, but the list of counties can easily be obtained from the downloadable "accuracy" data using the "about Zestimates" link at the bottom of the page.

The U.S. Postal service is likely the best place to get the Zip-code list.  I'm not sure if they have the regions as downloadable files or not.

City lists?  Usually the best place is an atlas or an Almanac.  You can do state by state in the Zillow home searches, and it will give you a short list... but the smaller cities won't be on the list that way.

You can always zoom in the Zillow maps and pan them... but that is very time consuming.

The "local info" tab at the top of the page may help.  If you look up a city, they will list the neighborhoods for the city to be included in the trend chart as well.

Then there is the U.S. Census Website census.gov  That has all the metropolitan statistical areas, counties and cities.  You can download as much data as you like there.  They break it down into even smaller areas: Census Tract, Census Block Group, and Census Block.

Then there are the political voting districts....  The precinct are the smallest units there, but they differ depending on type of election, school board, city, county, Congress representative, state...  Those maps are best obtained from your county registrar of Voters, or perhaps your city clerk or voting official.

I suggest that you contact your local library.