Daughter Has Flu...

Man, this stinks. So far it's first day and she was up to 101.5, but now down to 99.6. It's a tough decision. Do I bring her in for Tamiflu? I checked the side effects and they are very chemo-like with severe flu symptoms, along with sleep disturbances, hyper, hallucinations, and blackouts. I don't like that it's hitting the mental realm.

Link 1  LInk 2 Yet, then I check the stats. And that brought me to these articles. I've had friends that had it before it was announced, and recently, they all say it's long and mean, but they get over it.

Hub and I are strong believers in non-treatment, and in not worrying about germs, which we feel is why we get less flues every year than the rest of our extended family. We don't medicate for fevers unless they are over 102.5, OR it's night time over 100.2 and we don't want our kid's fever spiking during the night while we're asleep.

I do contain flues successfully by using oust and lysol (and keeping the child in their room) once I KNOW we have a flu inside the house, but that's only to decrease the germ levels. We figure our bodies can handle some germs, and that they won't hurt us. I've actually had people over with NOBODY else getting sick doing this.

What do you all think of this? You're the best researchers I know. Is this flu overdone? Is the 'remedy' tried and true?
  • November 12 2009 - US
  • 0

With so much garbage out there, how can anybody know for certain. Best thing you can do is take her to her doctor and discuss your options.

I agree we tend to over medicate when sometimes some good old fashioned commom sense is in order, but your doctor will know best and perhaps prescribe a little of both.

Get well wishes to you all.

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
i would stick to pain/fever reducers, multi-vitamins and something for sleep, i would suggest benedryl, but histamines can be useful when one is actually sick... stay away from combo drugs, make sure she drinks water... you know, old hat.

Profile picture for Lady Chattel

The flu is ALL over my area, we seem to be the only family not to fall ill yet (hope I don't jinx myself now).  No one has said how horrible or worse ths flu is over any other flu.  There has been too much hype and a lot of it is helping big pharma.  I have had friends told they were not "eligible" for Tamiflu, tightening who gets it now.  One had her son Rx it and her daughter didn't.   If you are managing it wait it out, if you see unsual symptoms or getting worse head to Dr for sure. 

Sending healthy thoughts for you and her.

On another note: do not get the H1N1 vaccine!!!

I am so sorry to hear that you have sickie. I hate it when mine get really sick because I feel so helpless. Mom should be able to fix everything even the flu. All you can do is try to keep her up on fluids and keep her comfortable. Sending good thoughts your way.

Fluids, monitor the temp closely.  How old is she?  For those that are old enough, and congested, I swear by the otc nasal flushes - changing the ph in the sinuses, and cleaning them out, seems to help.

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
do you mean the neti-pot? saline rinse? or something else entirely?

Thank you all. You are all correct. Too much hype made me over worry and over think myself. Chicken noodle soup, 7-up, and jello. I did no meds whatsoever, since she never hit my typical threshold for medicating. Today no fever at all yet. I expect it to come back, but no biggie. :-)

I prefer neil med in the squishy bottle. 

Bravo Debts!  The nice thing about viruses is as long as the patient does not over do and it is not one of the wacky ones, it is usually possible to stare them down! 

Profile picture for Kaye Norenberg
Our whole family had it.  It was three days in bed with a high fever and a bad cough that continues for two weeks.  My secret weapon for my kids was popsicles.  They felt great on the throat and were very cooling for the fever.  Try to avoid taking her to the doctor unless she develops complications.  The offices are swamped and you don't want to bring her around sick people when her immunity is compromised.  Good luck!

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
congratz.

lol day after i wrote that i saw 500 dead: swineflu and phew... glad for ya

no, actually the H1N1 is turning out to be more MILD than the normal flu.

CDC estimates put the total at 4000 dead, far below the 35000 typical during the average flu season, although there is still time, it seems to be very mild most of the time.

better link

link

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
grr zillow

better link

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
interesting fact about the vaccine, apparently the nasal spray is actually a live virus that has been genetically manipulated so that it cannot survive at body temps, so it actually continues to live inside the nose... just not your lungs or heart!

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
also interesting fact about both vaccines.

while both vaccines are capable of mild flu-like side effects, there exists 0.00% chance of actually catching the flu from the vaccine. i have heard this urban legend many times and it made sense, but nope... its not possible.

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
the vaccine is cultivated in chicken eggs...

the h1n1 vaccine is a "new" virus, however the vaccine is made the same way as it has been made each year for 20 years, the flu strain is always different from one year to the next. the vaccine, therefore is not as new as the virus and is sufficiently tested.

Apparently 20% of Americans are citing the novelty of the vaccine or virus as a reason to not get the vaccine.

Profile picture for Lady Chattel
This flu is nothing compared to the flu my family had in 2004, knocked out each of us for over a week, fever, full day of chills/shaking, lethargy, cough.....I have seen neighbors recover in a matter of days with no Tamifu, so either they had a bad cold or this H1N1 isn't as horrible as the media makes it out to be.   No one in my family has had the flu since 2004 thankfully.   

I use saline rinses to control allergies, I buy the saline packets at Rite Aid,

When I was senior in high school I had what was then called the 'Hong Kong' flu.  Spent a month throwing up ginger ale and chicken broth and hallucinating with a temp of 103.  Back in those days all the doctor said was "There is a lot of this going around.  Keep an eye on her and we will do something if it gets bad." while over a million people died worldwide.  In many ways, the world has improved considerably since the olden days. 

I'm still ticked at the stats on this flu. 20% of people over 50 who get it DIE. There was an article I linked to. Read the responses. OMG, what has this country come to!! They said, "it's ok, those people had 'underlying conditions'. They also said, "well, the elderly take longer for the vaccine to produce the antibodies, so other's should be first". Umm... it means elderly should be first, since their bodies take longer AND they have 'underlying conditions'. lol

Simply amazing how wrong our logic is while fed to us now that we are given the news and data in a conclusion type manner. Some chit I just can't swallow.

Btw, my daughter was only sick with the fever for that one day AND nobody else got it. I guess I fought the spread correctly.

Oh, and feed stores have antibiotics. I just picked up 250mg amoxicilan for $30. That'll save us the $75 for going to the doctor to get a prescription. :-)

... and I can't forget. I picked up joint ligement for the arthritis in my neck there, too. lol  It works great.

sorry all for the spelling. lol