Profile picture for Rookeworld6

Deck Build Options: Best Value

I currently live in the North Atlanta, Georgia area, and recently bought my house about 14 months ago, (built in 2005).  I have wanted to replace the original decking since I have moved in, due to its lack of accessibility to the back yard, with no steps to get down to the back yard.  My house is on a basement, so the deck itself sits high up from the backyard and hard to entertain from.  I have considered several alternatives including building an addition on to the deck which would essentially be two decks attached by stairs, that would wrap around the side of the house and add stairs from that side to the ground.  Or just simply have steps added straight down to the back yard . . . Now my most recent option I have been considering is to rebuild my current deck, same size and layout, except adding the steps this time, and building the deck out of Brazilian Ipe wood.  (I have come to love the look of this wood).

My question is, from a increased value stand point, where would i get the most bang for my buck?  is it worth putting the extra money into upgrading from the typical PT wood deck, up to Ipe wood?  Or would it be considered a waste of money, which would not result in much of a value increase at all.  Any advice or experience would be appreciated.
  • July 10 2014 - Buford
  • 0

That depends on the locality.  Typ wooden deck may not have any added value.  If your home is a cookie
cutter me too, I would spend some money growing vines, flowers to accentuate the appearance.

Rather use wood I would go to composite(plastic and wood mixed) they tend to last longer.