Profile picture for Walk Away

Deed-in-Lieu Request Denied, What Next?

Mortgage has been in default for almost 18 months. Hired a law/debt reduction firm to try and and negotiate a deed-in-lieu/consent forclosure. Mortgage lender is not willing to entertain that option now. Though that was an option they initially stated on paper that I could request. They are turning it down now because I did not try a reduced payment plan first. It was never stated in their written proposal that a reduced payment plan must be tried first before any other options would be considered. Anyways, I do not want to keep the property, it is a 40 year old condo that has not been remodeled in 20 years. Property will not sell. Valued at around $30,000. Still owe $123500.00. Should I just tell them to forclose. At least I can stop making the condo assessment payment every month and maybe I can make it in under the mortgage debt relief act before 12/31/2012, to taxes on the deficiency. Any advice/opinion is appreciated. Thanks.

November 20 2012 - Mount Prospect

Profile picture for bgraichen
I was kind of in the same situation with a rental property.  The bank won't do anything if it looks like you can still pay your mortgage.  You need some serious debt.  It may be too late for you to do a DIL though. They were probably foreclosing on you as you typed this up.  The Mortgage Relief Act was extended through 2013.  That will help you avoid the huge tax hit after foreclosure. I say screw the bank, they artificially inflated the home values.

I made a webpage describing what I went through with my DIL.  It was embarrassing in the end.  There is too much to type so here's a link if you want to read what I did.  Good luck.
[weblink deleted by Zillow due to spam.  Please refer to our Good Neighbor Policy for details.]

Get a law firm in ILLINOIS to help you with this. The last thing that you need is the bank coming after you for a deficiency judgement because most likely this will not be resolved by the end of the year. 

I know a law firm based out of Chicago that is very good and reputable that I can connect you with if interested.
[phone removed by Zillow moderator]

"maybe I can make it in under the mortgage debt relief act before 12/31/2012"     While it would be nice, the chances of a foreclosure happening in six weeks is not likely.   As Sunnyview  mentioned,  You do need legal advice.

You need to get legal advice, but as a layman I would say that from a financial standpoint it is time to look seriously at walking away if the bank refuses to work with you.

It looks like there are deficiency judgements in your state, but they are filed in small percentages overall. You need legal advice about how to try to avoid one before you walk. It is a tough situation, but you are wise to make the call while the tax law benefits you. Consider all your options, make the call that will allow you to move forward financially.

At this point, I would not agree to the banks demand for a reduced payment plan. Too many of them in this scenario are refused at the end as long as the owner is able to pay and agreeing to one would cause you to lose your tax benefit that expires at the end of the year.